Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 12:11 AM

Default A bit of a move on two hyper lags

50-100 game live

I am 3 off the button with two ridiculous lags sitting immediately to my left. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I raise. The first lag (I would guess 75/20) calls me, the second one (considerably less loose but more aggro than the first, probably about 45/35) reraises me. He'd reraise on probably any suited ace or PP. I have a very solid table image and have beaten the second lag out of some nice pots.

The flop comes down: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I check, first lag checks and the second lags immediately whips the greens in. I think for about 4 seconds and raise.

What do you think of this move in this spot?
Old 08-13-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: A bit of a move on two hyper lags

It's about as standard as it gets. It's not just for protection; it's also because you have the best hand.

Rob
Old 08-13-2005, 12:47 AM

I don't think it's about as standard as it gets and I don't think it's clear I have the best hand.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's about as standard as it gets and I don't think it's clear I have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe your stats/handranges are off, then? If one is a 75/20 and the other is a 45/35, it's a pretty standard situation as you've usually got the best hand (you're often up against a PP or suited broadway type hand against LAG#1'S cc, and LAG#2's raising standards leave you in good shape against most hands except the obvious AK, KTs+). 45/35 is a borderline maniac with his PFR standards, though, just FWIW.

Rob
Old 08-13-2005, 01:06 AM

Yes but he didn't raise here--he reraised after a caller (albeit an idiotic one). And not only did he reraise, he reraised the player that the rest of the table had to think was the tightest player in the game (and yes he and I had been there long enough for him to notice this).

I think that his reraise is important here. He'll probably call me down in general with any pocket pair above a 9, and that's really what I am trying to avoid. He will obviously go nuts with AK/KK/AA. My hope is that my checkraise into his preflop strength shows such significant strength of my own that it will convince him I have AK at least, making him lay down JJ/1010/QQ (if not on the flop, perhaps on the turn).

I think this is actually a pretty interesting situation, and I've puzzled over it all night. I could have decided to call him down (perhaps letting him spike a Q or J with AQ AJ, but losing the minimum when he has a big hand), I could have waited for the turn to make it more likely he'd fold (and to get a chance to spike a 9 or A), or I could have done what I did. Each plan, I think, has significant merit as a flop strategy here.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:13 AM

I don't think you really want to just call his flop bet with the idiot in between who'd call 1 bet and might have a bunch of outs, especially if he'd fold JT/QT/QJ for 2 bets.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
think that his reraise is important here. He'll probably call me down in general with any pocket pair above a 9, and that's really what I am trying to avoid. He will obviously go nuts with AK/KK/AA. My hope is that my checkraise into his preflop strength shows such significant strength of my own that it will convince him I have AK at least, making him lay down JJ/1010/QQ (if not on the flop, perhaps on the turn).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise here it has to be for value and to knock the other player out. He IS NOT GOING TO FOLD A BETTER HAND. I never played with a LAG that did not take big pocket pairs to showdown HU.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:25 AM

I think the raise is extremely easy, fwiw. You have a hand that is very possibly best but also vulnerable.

[ QUOTE ]
I am 3 off the button with two ridiculous lags sitting immediately to my left.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know exactly what's available to you, but you might want to consider a seat change.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:09 AM

a "huge lag" never folds QJ QT T9 JT here to a checkraise on the flop for 2 cold. I would strongly consider checkraising the turn.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:17 AM

Pretty standard. I play in some extremely loose aggressive games and what I like to sometimes do in situations like this is lead and reraise. The guy in between will not fold a hand you want him to fold for 2 cold if your description of him is correct so if you miss the opportunity to 3 bet the flop it won't be a complete disaster.