Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Electric Guitar.

If you are on a budget, buy an Agile guitar for about $200. They make LesPaul, Strat and other copies. http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar-ss5.html

The guitar setup makes a huge difference. Pay a good guitar tech about $50 to level and crown frets, adjust innotation and set the truss rod. After this, the guitar will probably play as good as (if not better) than anything you will pull off the wall at guitar center. I know a lot of guys who own PRS, Suhr, Gibson and Fender who swear these Agile guitars are great.

With electric guitars, the amp means more to the sound than anything else besides the player. Get a used small Fender like Blues Jr. or Deluxe reissue. If you want good distortion sound at low volume buy a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 on ebay for about $100.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:44 PM

If its your first electric, don't worry about spending a lot of dough and just get something that feels good to you when you play it. If you just want to crank up the distortion and bang out some power chords, pretty much anything with a straight neck will do. One thing I would recommend, though, is get something with a fixed bridge (no whammy bar) - this will make it easier to tune and keep it in tune. After you beat on this thing for a while, you'll have a better understanding of what in particular you are looking for, and then you'll probably start lusting after guitars in the $700+ range.

Likewise for the amp. A tube amp is going to give you a much better sounding distortion, but there's no shame in buying a cheap solid-state amp to start out with. One advantage to a solid-state amp is that you can usually get a full distortion sound without making it really loud. If you don't have a good practice space, you will have trouble getting a nice tube amp really heated up without really pissing off your neighbors.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are on a budget, buy an Agile guitar for about $200. They make LesPaul, Strat and other copies. http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar-ss5.html

The guitar setup makes a huge difference. Pay a good guitar tech about $50 to level and crown frets, adjust innotation and set the truss rod. After this, the guitar will probably play as good as (if not better) than anything you will pull off the wall at guitar center. I know a lot of guys who own PRS, Suhr, Gibson and Fender who swear these Agile guitars are great.

With electric guitars, the amp means more to the sound than anything else besides the player. Get a used small Fender like Blues Jr. or Deluxe reissue. If you want good distortion sound at low volume buy a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 on ebay for about $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

%hit just canceled my credit card. you wouldnt know any good sites take neteller payments? anyway this looks like a good guitar so i'll chat with some friends about it b4 i get one thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This one

[/ QUOTE ]

gawd thats crazy. i was looking for something half that price at most

[/ QUOTE ]

Go for a Fender Strat. You can find them for $400 and they're a decent guitar.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:20 AM

how much do you want to spend and what kind of sound do you want? I know quite a bit. pm me if you like.

2 things...buy used...buy american
Old 07-17-2005, 01:47 AM

my yamaha classical cost 80 bucks, and it plays and sounds fine. played many gigs with it and no one has ever complained.

the main thing the OP should be concerned about is playability. yamaha makes pretty decent low end gear that can take a beating.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:04 AM

Go for an Ibenez RG. Its got two double coil pick up's a humbucker, and a floyd rose tremolo. Its also got a soild spruce neck, 24 frets (shark tooth inlays), Its super light and easy to play. Good for rock/metal. 200$-300$ Les pauls are expensive and heavy as [censored]. Strats are for old timers.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:24 AM

My first electric was an epiphone les paul copy. They look the same, sound good, play good and are produced in Mexico to pass the savings on to you! I payed around $450 for mine. I believe they're still pretty common and i'm sure you could find one easily.

Seriously though, BUY USED. Guitars aren't cars, they don't get worse over time, you should be able to find a real good guitar for less than half the new price if you shop around. Again, things like bowed necks and fret problems are cheap to fix.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:53 AM

Jay Turser JT-200 (Les Paul copy)

I got one of these for $400 Canadian. Mine is blue with white trim.

Much better quality than Epiphone Les Paul Copies for the same price. Pickups are better than Epiphones fer sure.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:25 AM

I also bought used and american. A five year old telecaster for me as my second electric and it makes all my friends jealous.