Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 05:36 AM

Default AK call or fold?

ok dont need to flame me cuz i know i suck!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

but what do i do here. i think hes on a draw but i dont understand how a guy with a jack or 2 pair can check then flat call and push the turn unless he got 2 pair on turn.

anyway what do you think?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

MP3 (t1340)
CO (t740)
Button (t740)
SB (t630)
BB (t1400)
UTG (t785)
UTG+1 (t770)
MP1 (t820)
Hero (t775)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls t35, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t132.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, SB calls t100, BB folds.

Turn: (t332.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>,SB goes all in, Hero ?.

Final Pot: t532.50
Old 06-27-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Re: AK call or fold?

should have checked flop and if not checked turn and if not definitely fold
Old 06-27-2005, 09:25 AM

Firstly, I think if you're going to try and bluff here on the turn then it needs to be a push. You need to call SB here as your 200 raise committed yourself to the pot. So you should have pushed initially. Underbetting the pot looks weak; pushing looks strong and you've got some FE.

However, what's your throught process here on the turn? What do you think SB has here that he will call 100 on the flop but fold here on the turn?

I see SB having two hands - Jx and a flush draw. There's no way a jack is going to fold here when a 5d coming on the turn. A flush, possibly, but still unlikely.

Basically you're likely to go broke with this line holding ace-high. I don't mind the bluff on the flop, but check/fold the turn.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:43 AM

TOW4, you have ace high in this hand and more than one caller saw the flop. If you must C bet the flop, fine. But shut down on the turn. Do you really want to risk a significant portion of your stack on level 1 with ace high here?

As a general rule, try to manage the size of the pot on the first couple levels unless you have the goods.

Also, I'm assuming this is a $6 or $11 SNG. My golden rule at the lower levels is to make value bets when I have a hand (since the fish will pay you off) and not to bluff when I don't. This is especially true for level 1. It does no good to try to "read" a guy at these buy-ins when you have ace high and he is just as likely to call you down with middle pair as he is to be on a flush draw.

Patience, Grasshopper....