Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Default NEED LAPTOP ADVICE - thinking of buying this one today!

Hey guys,

I currently 4-table Party with my 5 yr old Dell, Pentium 900 MHz processer (I can't remember the rest of my specs), but the important thing to note is that my current monitor is cable of 1280 x 1024 pixels, which allows me to 4-table with just a bit of ovelap. (This minimal amount of overlap is fine with me).

I want to buy a new laptop and I must be able to at least 4-table on it (again, mininal overlap is okay with me).

Ideally, I would like to connect the laptop to a second monitor so that I can play up to 8-tables. Further, I need appropriate hardware that will allow me to 8-table, while also running programs like PlayerView and PokerTracker.

Here are links to the Toshiba laptop I'm looking at: Here and here. (Note: this is the PSA70C-AB200E version).

Basically, it has 3.2 GHz processor, 1 Gig RAM, 80 Gigs hard-drive (but the hard-drive is only at 4200 rpm, is that okay?)

MOST IMPORTANTLY, the screen will allow up to 1440 x 900 pixels before it goes into the funky 'pan-screen' mode. This is more pixels width-wise than I currently use, but LESS vertical-wise. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS STILL OKAY FOR 4-TABLING??

Finally, I heard that Pentium 4's have a problem with over-heating. Is there any truth to this?

Anyway, total price at Costco is $1900 CDN.

THANKS GUYS IN ADVANCE!

Adam
Old 03-05-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: NEED LAPTOP ADVICE - thinking of buying this one today!

You'd be crazy not to get a laptop with a 17" 1920x1200 display. I recommend a Dell.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:38 PM

look at hp's and i'd recommend the pentium M processor. its not as hot, and battery life is much better - performance is quite good (i dont play many computer games). hp's also have an upgrade for ~ 120 canadian that has resoultuion of 1900/1200. i have it, and its nice. i can 6 table on it with not real bad overlap

for graphics cards, i nkow the radeon mobility 9200 supports it so anything newer probaly will too.

hope this helps

stealthcow-

ps. where in canada are you?
Old 03-05-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
look at hp's and i'd recommend the pentium M processor. its not as hot, and battery life is much better - performance is quite good (i dont play many computer games). hp's also have an upgrade for ~ 120 canadian that has resoultuion of 1900/1200. i have it, and its nice. i can 6 table on it with not real bad overlap

for graphics cards, i nkow the radeon mobility 9200 supports it so anything newer probaly will too.

hope this helps

stealthcow-

ps. where in canada are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... i'll check out HP. You say you can 6 table without much overlap on yours, on a single scree!? That'd be great.

You say it goes up to 1900x1200, but when you go up that high, does it go in to "Pan-screen" mode? (do you know what i'm talking about??).

Oh ya, and I don't play any computer games either...so if that makes any difference in my likely system requirements?

Adam

PS. - London, Ontario
Old 03-05-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd be crazy not to get a laptop with a 17" 1920x1200 display. I recommend a Dell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking at the Dell's...

BUT, they lack the Processor speed and 1 Gig memory (for same price range).

They do, however, have 7200 rpm harddrive.... which is more important?

Adam
Old 03-05-2005, 03:58 PM

Default IN A NUTSHELL....

What's the most important for multi-tabling on a laptop (Processor, RAM, Harddrive speed)? And what would mininum requirements be for the uses I specified above?

Is 1440 x 900 pixels good for 4-tabling?

Overall, I don't mind having a 15 inch monitor as compared to a 17 as it allows more portability and better battery life. (Further, as I understand it, there is no difference in pixel size capabilities... wrong?)

Anyone problems with Pentium 4's?

OVERALL, given the hardware specs, is there a better deal than this Toshiba?

Adam
Old 03-05-2005, 04:04 PM

well the only reason i asked is that if you aren't playing games, then a pentium m processor is pretty solid. my friend who plays games (and poker) went for a Pentium 4.

also for graphics cards - if you aren't playing games, then you wont need a top of the line one.

each game takes up 800/600, so when i 6 tabled, the one in the middle would overlap 250 pixels on each size, which wasn't bad- especialy because all the overlap was horizontal.

also i asked because i'm a student at u of t and looking for any/ all the undergrounds i can find

stealthcow-
Old 03-05-2005, 05:07 PM

Adam,

Haven't read the other replies thorougly, but here's my thoughts.

Don't buy a P4 proc. Buy a Pentium M. Just because it is lower GHz does not mean it is slower. They are extremely energy efficient and run much cooler. They have actually been so popular that Intel is converting them for use in desktop computers as well.

DO get a laptop with at least a UXGA screen. You'll be much happier being able to 4-table with no overlap. You can get UXGA in both 15.4" & 17" screens. 17" 4:3 is fine, Widescreen may be excessive.

DO get a 7200RPM drive. Processors & memory really are at a point where they are not the limiting factor. A 4200rpm drive is going to be a bottleneck for nearly all applications. I think this is one of the most important upgrades you can get in a computer, either desktop or laptop. If you do not want to spring for the extra cash now, Seagate is coming out with a great 7200RPM laptop drive in teh next couple months so you could upgrade yourself (if you are capable).

Memory:
512 is sufficient for now, 1Gig is going to be necessary in teh future. If I had the choice between an extra 512 of memory or a 7200rpm drive instead of a 4200, I'd go with the harddrive upgrade. Try to get your memory in one DIMM instead of two. This will allow you to easily upgrade in teh future (so you want at least one 512 DIMM installed internally).

Video:
If you plan on playing any games, DO NOT GET A LAPTOP WITH INTEGRATED VIDEO. Products that offer "intel extreme graphics" and [censored] like that will not handle games well. I've got a 64mb Ati Radeon 9700 Mobility and I love it. If you're not going to play any graphics intensive games, dont bother getting a good graphics card.

Warranties are a great thing to have. Getting a comp like a Dell will give you great warranty options. They have accidental damage protection that will allow you to replace/repair your unit free of charge if you drop it or spill liquid in it.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Getting a pre-packaged system will usually not allow you to get what you want, but you'll save some money. I think the most important thing to look for is the UXGA or WUXGA screen.

Freakin

*EDIT* Oh yeah, and built in wireless is a must. Even if you don't use it now, you may want it in the future without having a card sticking out the side.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:38 PM

Default That Toshiba is a no-go.....

Hey Freakin,

Thanks A LOT for the great advice.

FWIW, i just stopped by Costco once again and noticed that the 15 inch model that I was looking at would NOT do more than 1200x800 without going in to "pan-mode". So it's a NOT what I'm looking for.

Basically, a really important feature that I require is to be able to 4-table (or more?) with as little overlap as possible - AND I DON'T WANT TO HAVE THE SCREEN GO INTO "PAN-MODE."

This "UXGA" you speak of... does it allow enough pixel size without "pan-mode"??

From the specs you suggested, it looks like Dell may have some good deals. They seem to be the only one who offers 7200 rpm harddrive, standard.

Further, after hearing others' opinions as well, it seems Pentium M is the way to go....

Also, it from what I've heard, since I won't be playing "games" on my computer or doing any hard-core multi-media, I hear that I don't need anything over 512 RAM - true? What about processs speed? Any minimum requirements for 8-tabling? with PlayerView?

Thanks again, and in advance.

Adam
Old 03-05-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: That Toshiba is a no-go.....

I'm telling you, go with a Dell. UWXGA is the way to go. You may not think you need the extra pixel space 1920x1200 as opposed to 1600x1200, but you can add quite a few more games.

You're only going to run into processor memory issues with pokertracker when running certain sites, pokerroom and the cryptos, are two good examples which combining with PT will cause major slowdowns at times.

I thought your price range was around $2000 in which case, this laptop fits your needs and is really overkill in some departments.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...l=en&s=dhs