Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Bankroll Question

I have been playing poker for quite some time profitably but have never had a specific bankroll, because as a college student, I used my winnings for necessities.

However, I worked all winter break, aside from playing good poker, and am setting aside a bankroll. I have $1300.00 in it. Theoretically, what should I be playing? I have done well at my friends home games .25/5, fairly well at my college game .5/1, and really well at 1/2 at a club (if that makes sense). Should I move up/down? I have no clue what the bankroll should be relative to the stakes?

THanks guys
Old 01-11-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Question

1. Are you talking about No Limit or Limit poker?

2. This question has been asked and answered many times. You can search the archives. The answers will be different depending on whether you are talking abou No Limit or Limit.

3. This is not really a mid stakes type question. 1300 is not even a proper bankroll for 0.50-1.00 NL. It sounds like you could get more money in a bind though, so if you are talking about NL, I would say 0.50-1.00 (assuming your buy in would be in area of 100+) should be OK.

For NL (please understand you are posting in a NL and Pot Limit only forum), a proper bankroll should be at least 20X the buy-in of the highest game you play.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:01 PM

I play no limit...and thanks...so if i decide to venture to 1/2 i would need 4000?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:09 PM

ive also read that you need 20x the buyin to play in a NL game. this confuses me. what exactly is the buyin? there is a 5/10NL game in my area and its a 300min buyin with no max. my bankroll is 17k. does this mean i should buyin for no more than 850? if i wanted to play 1/2NL, and the minbuyin was $50, and all I had was 1k, is buying in for the minimum appropriate?
Old 01-11-2005, 10:14 PM

1300 is fine for 100 NL, even multitabling. The reality is that if you lose 500 or 600 then you need to take a long look at your hand histories and determine if you need to drop down. Because if you're playing solid poker that almost never happens at those limits.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:25 PM

the shorter the buy in of the game, the more of them you need.

so for party's short stacked NL, you need around 20.

for prima, UB or basically anywhere else buy party, 10-15 should be okay for a winning player. more if you arent sure if you are beating the game yet.

for live games. if you buy in short, more buy ins, if you buy in deep, less, bc you wont be losing your whole stack nearly as much if you are deep.