Default Re: Nominations for Best \"Rock\" Album of 2005

Common-Be
Old 11-29-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is basically an "i'm trying to prove I am very edgy and you aren't..." thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

So far no one here has listed an "edgy" band. They play this [censored] on nissan comercials and [censored] over nip and tuck!

[/ QUOTE ]
All I am saying is that someone will make a list, others will say this is crap/I've never heard of them/[blank] is better. If this were a "my top ten etc" list then so be it but a best of the year just brings out people's need to one up one another.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are entirely wrong dude. This is what you expect it to be. It is not the reality.

<font color="white"> (This is exactly where I wanted this thread to go by the way, you think i give a [censored] what you guys think about music? I am clearly the superior voice around here) </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
A superior voice...but your choice still sucks...after all I've never heard of it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
since we have the Murderer's Row of hipsters focusing on this thread, this might be a good time to ask the question that I've been pondering for a while

why are the band names/album titles/song titles so gay nowadays?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll offer this as exhibit A. Sufjan Steven's new album

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant, imo.

I lost it when I saw that.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is basically an "i'm trying to prove I am very edgy and you aren't..." thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

So far no one here has listed an "edgy" band. They play this [censored] on nissan comercials and [censored] over nip and tuck!

[/ QUOTE ]
All I am saying is that someone will make a list, others will say this is crap/I've never heard of them/[blank] is better. If this were a "my top ten etc" list then so be it but a best of the year just brings out people's need to one up one another.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are entirely wrong dude. This is what you expect it to be. It is not the reality.

<font color="white"> (This is exactly where I wanted this thread to go by the way, you think i give a [censored] what you guys think about music? I am clearly the superior voice around here) </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
A superior voice...but your choice still sucks...after all I've never heard of it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I ever get off my lazy ass, Ill post songs from my old hardcore band.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
given that its the only objective way to judge something like this you have to take it into account. What makes the albums you listed good, and why should I believe that they are better than what the masses like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Attempting to objectify (is that a word?) appreciation of art through a direct correlation with popularity is comically retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

you made a list of the 10 best rock albums of 2005 without including a single band that is widely popular. if this was CMI's 10 favorite albums of 2005 that would make sense, but its not. Note the 5 artists/bands you listed as the greatest of all time. What did they all have in common? the fact that they were all widely popular. It is the same in any art form. Those who are recognized as the greatest in their field are those who were most popular in their field. I agree that their is room for listing artists that are not so popular among the best, but to have a top 10 list not include any popular artist at all is as you would say "comically retarded".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, what about movies? Taking away Titanic, when was the last high gross movie nominated for an Oscar for best picture? Should I call the Academy idiotic for not nominating [censored] Charlies Angels or Men in Black?

[/ QUOTE ]

well if we're using oscars to qualify the best movie, then i guess we can use grammy's to qualify the best music. Seeing how none of the albums you or CMI mentioned will even get nominated for album of the year this year, I guess you're both wrong.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
given that its the only objective way to judge something like this you have to take it into account. What makes the albums you listed good, and why should I believe that they are better than what the masses like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Attempting to objectify (is that a word?) appreciation of art through a direct correlation with popularity is comically retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

you made a list of the 10 best rock albums of 2005 without including a single band that is widely popular. if this was CMI's 10 favorite albums of 2005 that would make sense, but its not. Note the 5 artists/bands you listed as the greatest of all time. What did they all have in common? the fact that they were all widely popular. It is the same in any art form. Those who are recognized as the greatest in their field are those who were most popular in their field. I agree that their is room for listing artists that are not so popular among the best, but to have a top 10 list not include any popular artist at all is as you would say "comically retarded".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, what about movies? Taking away Titanic, when was the last high gross movie nominated for an Oscar for best picture? Should I call the Academy idiotic for not nominating [censored] Charlies Angels or Men in Black?

[/ QUOTE ]

well if we're using oscars to qualify the best movie, then i guess we can use grammy's to qualify the best music. Seeing how none of the albums you or CMI mentioned will even get nominated for album of the year this year, I guess you're both wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Wilco's album which was heralded (by the hipsters) as the best album of 2003, won 2 awards. I guarantee Beck's Guero will be nominated this year. I can see Bloc Party being nominated for best new artist...etc.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually, Wilco's album which was heralded (by the hipsters) as the best album of 2003, won 2 awards. I guarantee Beck's Guero will be nominated this year. I can see Bloc Party being nominated for best new artist...etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beck and Wilco are both popular. and cmon even Ace of Base won best new artist.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:00 PM

I'm going to have to nominate Z by My Morning Jacket as no one has yet. Probably my favorite album of the year... but I haven't listened to Illinois at all yet. The National is a good one too.

Does someone want to post a song or two from Illinois to convince me to buy it? The only album by Sufjan I've spent time listening to is "A Sun Came" and I'm not a huge fan so far.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beck and Wilco are both popular. and cmon even Ace of Base won best new artist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wilco is popular now. That album got dropped by Warner Bros. because they didn't think it would be marketable. Why can't people, who obviously spend the time to learn and listen to a broader range of music find "new Wilcos and Becks" like The National and Sufjan.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to have to nominate Z by My Morning Jacket as no one has yet. Probably my favorite album of the year... but I haven't listened to Illinois at all yet. The National is a good one too.

Does someone want to post a song or two from Illinois to convince me to buy it? The only album by Sufjan I've spent time listening to is "A Sun Came" and I'm not a huge fan so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll post some stuff tonight.