Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Advice for draw poker online?

[ QUOTE ]
hm.. anyone read mike caro's "advanced strategies for draw poker"? got a 10 out of 10 by mason in the book review section of gambling theory and other topics.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's out of print, and I can tell you from experience that it's impossible to get.

It's too bad - in the intro to _Winning Concepts in Draw and Lowball_, Mason recommends memorizing this book.

Hackle
Old 02-18-2005, 03:28 AM

Personally, for a beginning player, I'd really recommend Planet; espec'ly if you haven't read one of the books yet. {Read the Wiesenberg articles given in the threads.}

As others have stated, the Planet games are good and passive, and you can build up some money as well as experience while you're learning.

Once you've got some under your belt, come on over to Paradise..I'm always up for more donations [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], um, players!
Old 02-18-2005, 05:56 AM

i play the paradise games regularly - occasionally the 1/2 but usually the higher limits when they run - lately there is usually a 5/10 game and nearly always a 2/4 or 3/6 game

the 2/4 and 3/6 games are often very soft - the 5/10 game features several regulars - redskelt, roll tide, rolleed, louise5, kiwi, and some others - all these guys are decent draw players but all of them have soft spots - one of the great things about draw amongst decent players over a period of time is the extent to which you need to be unpredictable - in addition to the decent players the 5/10 game often includes 2-3 chooks who are giving money away quickly

the most important advice for playing draw at paradise is if you happen to find yourself at a table with redskelt do yourself a favour and ignore his obnoxious chat

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 02-18-2005, 01:40 PM

roll tide is always chatty too... in a negative way

a good, unpredictable player though

mike
Old 02-20-2005, 04:54 AM

The funny thing is, of those that you mentioned, 1kiwi and ROLLEDDD is fish to everyone but real fish, and redskelt isn't someone you would lose money to either.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:41 PM

Stay away from paradise draw 2+2ers! ROLLEDDD will crush you with his razor thin value bets.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:51 PM

hey schubes - you owe my lots of blinds - filthy stealers

i think ROLLEDDD and 1kiwi are decent players but predictable - redskelt is unpredictable and clever but suffers from a grandiose view of his ability which occasionally causes him to spew some chips

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 03-07-2005, 01:19 AM

I've played all these people listed. I think Roll~Tide is very nice and a good player. redskelt is a decent player but a complete hothead. I have a funny story of one time I was playing Rolleddd.

I was getting lots of cards, raising his limps, beating his crud. I guess he got fed up with it... I get KK55 in the BB. Rolleddd open raises from the SB. I reraise, he caps. Rolleddd stands pat. Now at this point, I am just trying to discourage him from betting/bluffing into me on the end... I don't expect to win/improve (1 in 10 shot)... I just want to see his cards for as cheaply as possible. So I stand pat. Action on Rolleddd...

He just folds... outright. Guess I caught his bluff play and he didn't want to show his crap. He immediately leaves the table (giving up his 3 free hands).
Old 03-07-2005, 06:09 AM

I am just trying to discourage him from betting/bluffing into me on the end... I don't expect to win/improve (1 in 10 shot)... I just want to see his cards for as cheaply as possible.

It's usually a bad idea to try to show down kings up cheaply when that particular player caps and stands pat. I'd take the 1 in 10 shot to fill up and get 2 bets after the draw. Good read though (and I too have seen him get caught in a rare bluff and leave quickly).

Here's a more typical Rolleddd story:
He open limps on button, folded to BB who draws 3, he draws 1...

check, check...

he shows down 3 tens?!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:28 PM

In that situation (given that you sense the other player is steaming), what are you doing those 90% of the times you draw and miss? Calling down anyway?