Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 01:33 PM

Default critique (bad play leads to tough decision)

Somewhat early in a Party $100. I just got moved to a new table about 4 hands before this hand. I have $T6000 (avg is around $T3000) or so in chips, and am covered by the player to my right (barely). The blinds are $50-$100.

I am the BigBlind, and pick up JJ. It is folded around to the small blind (table chip leader), and he makes it $200 to go. I smooth call.

flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He bets $100. I raise to $500. He instantly pushes all in. (roughly $6K into a $1K pot)

What is my play??
Old 12-22-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: critique (bad play leads to tough decision)

Easy call. You're worried about 3 hands that beat you, very unlikely.

Not a huge fan of the call with Jacks, I'd do it with Queens, but Jacks is really pushing it. B/c you have no reads on the table, I'd have repoped.

A set/straight probably would have slow played this a little more, pushing 6k into 1k is a rediculous overbet. He's probably on a draw at best and you're probably ahead. Or he may have top pair.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:59 PM

I agree, that I should have reraised preflop, especially with zero reads.

I was worried about a hand like Ac 9c, and was probably to passive (I folded).
Old 12-22-2005, 02:02 PM

I would fold. How weak-tight is that?

I would put him on 89 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], or 2 pairs or A9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I think he has a bettor hand than yours. That means that he probably don't have you beat now, but he is more likely to hit one of his 14-20 outs.

89 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3 tens and 3 fives, 3 nines and 2 eights = 20 outs
A9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3 tens and 3 fives, 3 Aces = 17 outs

He will win more often than you, AA, KK and QQ are also likely, so it is a fold. You have a lot of chips, so I wouldn't do it, with a stack of 2500, you should call but not with your stack.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, that I should have reraised preflop, especially with zero reads.

I was worried about a hand like Ac 9c, and was probably to passive (I folded).

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean it's close, calling with JJ isn't horrible but it's really pushing it. I'd have definatly raised Tens.

The fold is awful. 89s clubs would not have raised like that, he wouldn't want you to fold. Same with A9s clubs. I would have called pretty quick. If he draws out it wasn't meant to be.