Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 05:22 PM

Default 20% ITM on all Stars MTT\'s

All of Stars MTT's $10 and under are now at 20% payouts. The guaranteed rebuy's are the only one's not. I don't play the &10 anymore so it doesn't affect me, but I used to. Such a shame that you can play for 4 hours and make $5. I would be pissed if I make a FT and alot of it is taken away and given elsewhere.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: 20% ITM on all Stars MTT\'s

You realize this has no effect whatsoever on your tournament EV, right?
Old 11-26-2005, 05:34 PM

what's your logic for that? i'd think it would. Though the impact it has will be small.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's your logic for that? i'd think it would. Though the impact it has will be small.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would it change anything? The same amount of money is still being paid out. Yeah, you might have to make some minor adjustments to achieve optimal EV with the new structure, but in the long run, though you will make less money on average when you do make the money, you will make the money more often. It all balances out.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would it change anything? The same amount of money is still being paid out. Yeah, you might have to make some minor adjustments to achieve optimal EV with the new structure, but in the long run, though you will make less money on average when you do make the money, you will make the money more often. It all balances out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people will start to stall into the money a lot earlier with this structure.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:41 PM

What difference does that make, EV-wise?
Old 11-26-2005, 05:44 PM

Wouldn't this depend on how good you are?

For good, aggressive players that frequently make final tables when making the money I would think this would make the tournament EV lower. For bad/passive players that frequently squeak into the money the tournament would have a greater EV.

Thats what I'm thinking at least.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:44 PM

Can some one explain why they did this? Is it so that the fish who play these can be statisfied when they finish in 194th and make $3.88? If you're playing a small MTT, shouldn't you always aim for the top 5? Its really the same to me if I make those $4 or bust out in the first hour.

It seems to me that bigger tournaments like the Sunday 500K should have a flatter pay out structure. A lot of people satillite into those. The first place for the 500k usually pays like $130K, so they should make it $120K and pay more people at the bottom. That rewards the 4 hrs it took to get to the money with at least an extra few hundred dollars. (of course the goal is to make the real money at the FT, but if you dont make it heres a consolation prize of $500)
Old 11-26-2005, 05:46 PM

they take large chunks of money from the top places (5% from first) and give it to the lower places. Since i'm an arrogant bastard, i think i'll finish in the top places more often than average, and i'll finish in the 10%-20% range not as often.

I definitely think that means i lose value.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:47 PM

Yeah I agree it might vary from player to player. What I'm saying is that you should be able to make the proper adjustments to maximize EV and not "lose" anything in the switch to the new structure.