Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Best and Worst Movie remake ever???

I've never seen the original, but Dawn of the Dead was so rad it's gotta be better than the original.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only problem is that its hard to live up to the original when you are remaking a masterpiece...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I enjoy The Magnificent Seven, it's got a great cast and some cool moments. But this isn't a thread about good remakes of incredible movies.

You know what I'd like to see a remake of. Westworld. It was a great sci-fi/thriller and with updated special effects and a good cast I think it could be great.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen Westworld, but I've heard great things about it. I've also heard that Waterworld was very similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waterworld was nothing like Westworld. Perhaps you are thinking of the Postman, a post-apocalyptic "western" tale starring Kevin Costner. And very crappy.

Seriously, check out Westworld sometime. Yul Brunner at his absolute finest. And for a sci-fi movie from 1973 it is amazing how non-dated it feels.

Swede
Old 07-19-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to go with The Bourne Identity. There was an earlier version with Richard Chamberlain and wonder woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it was Jaclyn Smith.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right - I get them confused. Anyway, the movie sucked.

-ptmusic
Old 07-19-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to go with The Bourne Identity. There was an earlier version with Richard Chamberlain and wonder woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it was Jaclyn Smith.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right - I get them confused. Anyway, the movie sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. terrible movie. I'd still do either Kelly Garrett or Wonder Woman though.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
someone needs to mention psycho - shot for shot - so it's not the best or the worst...just the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can't be worse just because it was the same scenes?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was just pointing out the insanity of shooting a re-make shot for shot. pretty expensive homage if you ask me.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:38 PM

I'm sure the original is pretty good... George A. Romero is like "the" zombie movie guy... also if I think the newer version is actually supposed to be more tame then the original (less gory)

Along those lines, while Shawn of the Dead was more of a spoof then a remake, it was very good!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:44 PM

Ocean's Eleven is an excellent example of where remaking a movie is a good idea. The original was weak, but the story in itself had promise. Just not executed well. Prime fodder for another attempt.

Something like The Longest Yard is a perfect example of pointless remake. You don't remake movies that were great to begin with. Even if the new version was good, it wasn't going to better than the original.

Remake movies that had potential, but just didn't hit the mark for some reason. Leave the good ones alone.

Sleepless in Seattle was a solid remake (at least all the chicks seem to think so).
Old 07-19-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Manchurian Candidate was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't watch many movies, do you?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:48 PM

Prolly a lot of re-makes that require special effects - like The Fly. Maybe Dracula.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:03 PM

I don't completely agree with this. While in general remaking a GOOD older movie is a horrible idea, I think there are a few cases where it is a really good idea.

First, if technological advances would allow for the remake to be, at least in some ways, better then the original. I think King Kong is a good example of this (not saying it will be good, but its a good idea)

Second, if the original is obscure or foreign. Not many people are ever going to see sinchin no samurai no matter how much it is praised. Most people aren't interested in seeing an old black and white movie WITH SUBTITLES. IE, The Magnificent Seven was a good remake.

Third, if the older movie is failing in quality or falling into obscurity. There are a lot of older movies whose original prints are getting worse by the year. The effort to restore/preserve such movies has been increased a lot in the last decade, but I'm sure there are many decent/good films that are already more or less lost.