Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Flat-calling middle set

--
--
MP ($117.50)
Hero ($215)
--
SB ($202.80)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $3, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($14) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $21</font>, SB calls $21, MP folds.

Turn: ($63) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($63) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $33</font>, Hero calls $33.

Final Pot: $129

SB was 26/6/1.3
MP was 34/9/3.5

okay so my flop raise was probably a bit too small, I didn't realize at the time that it was only a half pot raise

SB's cold call screamed monster to me, the only problem was I too had a monster. So on the turn I ponder the chances of him having a 5 (without it being a straight already), and I think they are small, so I'm not too worried about a draw. I would hate to get check-raised on the turn by 75 and miss my chance to fill up for free, so I check. (weak-tight much?)

Then on the river I don't know whether to raise or call, I think the only hands I beat that he calls my river raise is with 2 pair or 33

33 is just as likely as 66, so I guess that cancels out, but 75/52 feels more likely than two pair. I would expect a flopped straight more likely to be slowplayed then two pair.

So, does anyone like my justification of my weak-tightness?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Flat-calling middle set

I think its good. Raising the river is pointless..worse hands fold and better hands call. SB seems to like his hand alot...hope it worked out for you.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:20 PM

okay so my flop raise was probably a bit too small, I didn't realize at the time that it was only a half pot raise
too small for what? I don't like this seeming auto-potting esp. in this situation.
SB's cold call screamed monster to me, the only problem was I too had a monster. So on the turn I ponder the chances of him having a 5 (without it being a straight already), and I think they are small, so I'm not too worried about a draw. I would hate to get check-raised on the turn by 75 and miss my chance to fill up for free, so I check. (weak-tight much?)
when you flop a set on that board against a pfr you should be praying to get all your chips in at any point. I do however like the check behind on the turn because it often gets your river bet paid off vs his op.
Then on the river I don't know whether to raise or call, I think the only hands I beat that he calls my river raise is with 2 pair or 33
yeah, his river bet is tough, I fear JJ. A decent player shouldn't be betting AA here so I reckon the call is best.
33 is just as likely as 66, so I guess that cancels out, but 75/52 feels more likely than two pair. I would expect a flopped straight more likely to be slowplayed then two pair.

So, does anyone like my justification of my weak-tightness?

[/ QUOTE ]
Note, I don't play 6max.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:21 PM

Wow uhm, I'm betting the turn hard here every single time.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 PM

You calling a check-raise?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 PM

I'm pushing a check-raise.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You calling a check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am. Gleefully. 88, 66(both very unlikely imo) or he's a donk.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pushing a check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's what I meant

what hand range do you have him on when he checkraises?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:34 PM

33, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, TT, JJ, QQ, 34, 67... with 26% VPIP he won't have much, and I'm highly doubting a guy with these stats will call a raise OOP with 57 or 52.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:34 PM

I like your line, although I would probably bet this turn if it was me. Quite a scary board though but you are ahead of quite a few hands here. Keep in mind check-calling can often be a draw, 65s comes to mind(54s not so likely since we see 3 4's already).
Sucks if you're behind, but you don't have to go allin on river if you miss and he push. And I would hate it if I let 5x complete his straight for free here.