Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 05:41 PM

Default A problem from Harrington on Holdem

I'm reading Harrington on Holdem at the moment and I've noticed a strange comment on one hand. This is how it goes:

Early in a SNG, I'm in the BB, 2 callers in late possition, I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and raise to 100 (with 10/20 blinds) and I get one caller (one seat before the button) and the rest folds

Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Now Harrington suggests betting about 150 as the pot was 260. But I bet 100 instead of it and opponent calls.

Turn card is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Both players check.

On the river Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] comes.

I check opponent bets 100 and I call. Villain shows K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Nothing strange in these hand and I read Harrington's comment on it. He says (if it's illegal to quote someone's book then I'll correct it): "You were a bit unlucky, since he shouldn't have called your bet after the flop - there were just too many ways he could have been beaten."

I don't consider myself as a very good player and I can be wrong but this comment seems to be quite strange. On the flop the pot was 260, I bet 100 so opponent is getting 3.6-1 pot odds so how calling with a sceond nut flush draw and 2 overcards here is a mistake? Even if I bet 200, the pot odds would be around 2.3-1 and I'd consider villain's call in such situation as a correct. But as I said before I may be wrong so someone could please correct my thoughts? For those who have this book, the mentioned problem is on pages 292-294.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: A problem from Harrington on Holdem

right after that line he kind of corrects himself and says your bet was too small, and he was too tempted by the pot odds to throw it away. As for the 'shouldn't have called your bet after the flop" comment.. Im not sure why he said that, maybe he meant before the flop.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: A problem from Harrington on Holdem

Ok let's assume I bet 150 or even 200 here. Why a villain's call would be wrong now?