Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:54 PM

Default How do you do it (handle the swings).

I don't play on line, just in local tournaments a couple of times a week (2-3 tourneys a night). I've been on a losing streak for about 2 months--just a few cashes in that time. My starting hands have started to come around, but the flop still hates me. I finally just took a week off so that I could have a week where I didn't replay beats in my head. It's been really refreshing.

For those of you who play every day, how do you handle what seems like a an unlucky streak? How do you keep from letting it affect how you feel about yourself? Are you able to not think about poker when you're not playing?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: How do you do it (handle the swings).

I just got over a rather long bad streak... I take time off from playing and study by 2+2 or reading a book, occasionally totally forego any poker thoughts if that's possible... I look at my play from the losing sessions, should discuss your play here or elsewhere, and realize ultimately that variance is a good players best friend. Learn to love those fishies that take your chips b/c they'll be back, with more chips, and more fishies.

GL -
Old 09-22-2005, 07:39 PM

Back in February, I lost on-line, low limit, every single day for the whole month. I began to question whether I was as good as I thought I was. I mean, I couldn't even beat low limit on-line players! On one hand, I had AK, paired my king on the flop, only to lose on the turn and river to a guy how had J5, when 5, and then a J, fell on the turn and river (I still bitch about that hand)! I started to believe that I was terrible. I re-read every book I own. I took some time off. The best advice I remember reading was from Mike Caro, "You don't get paid to win pots. You get paid to make the right decisions." I realized that I wasn't losing because I was making bad decisions. I was just unlucky. In a game that requires skill and luck, you are bound to run into streaks where you can't lose and streaks where you can't win. Just try to think about your play and try to determine if you are playing poorly or well.

For those of us who think we are good poker players, it is difficult to go through streaks like the one you are going through. Just fight through it, take some time off if necessary, and try to have fun
Old 09-22-2005, 07:49 PM

You lost every day for a whole month?!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:35 PM

I was furtunate, that when I first started playing poker, it took me three days to pull my first pot, and it took over two weeks to break even....

So I was numb to the whole thing in the first place. The fact is that if you are making the right decisions. you will make it....

But this takes time to acquire, you will eventually simply accept that this is part of the game, thus our image of not caring about money at all.

As an aside, are those daily tournaments really +EV?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:29 PM

If you lost every day for an entire month at online low limits you are not a winning player.

Ok?

Stop exaggerating.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:14 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play on line, just in local tournaments a couple of times a week (2-3 tourneys a night). I've been on a losing streak for about 2 months--just a few cashes in that time. My starting hands have started to come around, but the flop still hates me. I finally just took a week off so that I could have a week where I didn't replay beats in my head. It's been really refreshing.

For those of you who play every day, how do you handle what seems like a an unlucky streak? How do you keep from letting it affect how you feel about yourself? Are you able to not think about poker when you're not playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

One way is to compare your total hours played, not the days of the week. 2-3 live tourneys a night? How big are these tourneys? How long do they last on average? You say it's only a couple times a week. That seems like about 4-6 mini tourneys a week. That's really not that much.

The problem is that it's spaced out over 2 months so it seems longer than it actually is. You may easily be going through just a solid weeks worth of variance.

Put in in perspective of hands and hours. Not by the calendar. I bet it's not as bad as it seems.

b
Old 09-23-2005, 03:13 AM

Online losing streaks are infinitly easier to handle than live. In terms of time, they go by much quicker, and you can always refer to pokertracker showing all dates to make yourself feel better about how ever much you lost. I'm on 18k hand 100bb losing streak, and I know this approach has helped me cope. That being said, I'm very excited to have things turn around
Old 09-23-2005, 08:09 AM

I'm on a 2 week downswing at the moment although I don't play every night.

I always take a break of a day or so. Don't play when I'm really tired and ensure I am not /do not tilt just to get back at the outdrawing fish.

I find that replaying those beats in my head IS the way to get over it. Did I make the right decision - yes? then I'd do the same again and again, the odds are in my favour and will even out in the end.

If you are a winning player your stats and experience will tell you that it WILL go your way, even if your mind is telling you something different.

BingoChimp
Old 09-23-2005, 01:56 PM

Grab a beer, a good comedy on vhs(must be vhs or will not work), and your gf/wife/hooker and have a nice quiet night. Take as many nights off as you need to get your head strait and back to stratagy and not losses.