Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 09:20 PM

Default What Would You Say?

I have a roomate who is a losing player. He's getting better, and he started reading books, but his parent's know about how he has lost some money to poker. He has a sister who is a big mouth. She knows about my success in poker, and told her parents how I am now helping him a little.

So last week I go visit my roomate's parents house in LA because we were going to the dodger's game. This was going to be the first time I would be meeting his parents.

We walk into the kitchen where his mother is and my roomate goes - "This is Carlo."

Before I can even finish saying "Nice to meet you," she blurts out, "You're the one who is ruining his life by playing poker all day and not going to school."

I'm still shaking her hand.

She then says, "Do you parent's know what you are doing?"
I reply , "Yes."
She says, "Wow they must be really ashamed."

Your move.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: What Would You Say?

how large is the husband? how mad would he get if you slapped her?

sorry, that was sarcastic, and not helpful. how old are you guys? my mom stopped caring who my friends were when I was 13.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:51 PM

She then says, "Do your parents know what you are doing?"
I reply, "Yes."

Klepton then says, "It's a real pleasure to meet you, Mrs. ____. We shouldn't be too late tonight, since the Dodgers are playing so terrible these days." Then Klepton turns around to leave.

Mrs. ____ responds with, "Hey, I asked you a question, what do you have to say for yourself?!"

Klepton turns around and replies, "I'm sorry ma'am, but one thing my parents did teach me was manners, and I sure don't see it in this house."

Mrs. ____ wasn't sure how to respond but when she did, Klepton was already out the door.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:25 AM

" My parents are not ashamed of anyone who makes an honest living and pays their own way."
Old 09-20-2005, 12:31 AM

"I'm sorry, but if you have a problem with how your son spends his money you should talk to him."
Old 09-20-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"My parents are not ashamed of anyone who makes an honest living and pays their own way."

[/ QUOTE ]

I like onegymrat's, but this response is better because it is not so abrasive and could lead to an intelligent conversation about how poker is perceived by those on the outside and possibly an acceptance by the parents of something their child enjoys.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:24 AM

Here's what I'd probably say: "It's hard for them to be ashamed when I make more than they do."

Here's what should be said: "My parents are very proud of me, they know that I'm very responsible with my money and that I work very hard to succeed in poker."
Old 09-20-2005, 02:27 AM

Wow, she's a friendly one...

I'd honestly would just ask her to tell me why she thinks that's so. Then at least you could try and explain your side of things in a civil manner. You might even be able to get her to treat you politely. No point in alienating your roommate's mom anyway.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
She then says, "Do you parent's know what you are doing?"
I reply , "Yes."

[/ QUOTE ]

"Do your parents know you raised a child who is ruining his life with gambling?"

I'm not sure if that particular phrase would come to me fast enough to use in a combat situation, but I can tell you this much....that's a game-ender right there. I would never force myself to be in the presence of someone like that. I would go home after I got out some sort of angry response.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:35 AM

Is there a knife nearby? I would go with my "Stab woman in face" instinct. Or tell her to stop being a bitch.

"Stop being a bitch. If you want a rational discussion about this, I am quite prepared to have one. If you want to insult me, I'm quite happy to answer back"