Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 09:49 PM

Default I feel like people are taking advantage of my continuation bets...

and I don't know what to do.

I have this CONSTANT pattern.

Hero raises UTG 4x BB with AK, button calls, everyone else folds.

Flop comes 982, hero bets pot, button min-raises, hero folds.

OR

Button smooth calls, turn is a blank, hero checks, button bets, hero folds. OR sometimes hero decides to throw a second bullet, gets called and check/folds the river or gets min-raised and folds.

I mean it's not just people who know me who do it, everyone is min-raising my continuation bets and I am folding. I just don't know what to do about it anymore. I feel like I am leaking chips all over the place by continuation betting now.

Is my image that way? Should I come over the top on a blank flop with my AK?

What about small PPs on an undercard or one overcard flop, or with second pair?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: I feel like people are taking advantage of my continuation bets...

Don't always continuation bets heads-up. Often when you check the flop, you'll get a free card. Try it sometime. And check your strong hands too sometimes out of position. I find that when an opponent sees me check missed overcards early in a session, my continuation bets work a lot better later on.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:58 PM

The answer is simple:

lose the small pots and win the big pots. When you have a hand, stack them

If you are OOP try some more turn check-raises with good hands if you think you are getting picked on, so basically always check the turn. This gives them no information, and if they bet everytime on the turn it allows you to put the serious-reverse-implied-odds-hardcore-smackdown on them

I recomend you continue to give up if you flop air (or second pair or whatever) and your continuation bet gets called/raised as long as your good hands are getting paid

edit: I almost forgot, when OOP and you raised pre and bet flop, a turn check-raise with a draw is a very good move if you think your gettting picked on
Old 12-30-2005, 10:50 PM

Like another poster said, don't always c-bet. I like to check sometimes for those paying attention, and being OOP is a better time to do it.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:06 PM

your examples are all you being out of position. do you have the same problem when you are in position? if not maybe you should reconsider the range of hands you are raising preflop from early-mid position. just a thought if that is the case. good luck.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:07 PM

It's called spongeing and you tend to come across is when you first move up to $100 NL games.

It is really just a player using position on you. Check the folds to flop bet% for the player on PAHUD - if it's less than about 60% it means he likes to call down CB's - so treat him like a calling station and do yourself a favor and don't try to bluff him.

A nice move vs sponges, when you get a great hand just fire in a pot-sized bet on the flop and then a 3/4 pot sized bet and turn(which they will call and read as you running out of steam), then check on the end and wait for them to bluff at the river with a big bet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And you can sponge too if you have position on a weak-tight player. It is especailly nice on a two-tone board if the flush card falls as any weakigh player will fold to a repped flush unless he has one himself....
Old 12-30-2005, 11:23 PM

This happens to me once in a while as well and it is frustrating as hell. Usually you are just seeing really crappy flops, so I usually tighten up a little bit and TRY to remain patient. But these types of games are very profitable when you are hitting, so hang in there. Don't give up on the c-bet.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:26 PM

Bluff 3bet those obnoxious minraises once in a while. People in mid-stakes games love to make "good" folds when you show them that their medium pair is no good. You don't have to do it very often before people cut down on the minraising. Letting people push you around for the absolute minimum price is definitely a leak.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:32 PM

I would just like to add that my approach to the situation involves continuing to cont. bet everytime and usually folding to resistance, and just be patient

I'm not worried if I lose a few cont bets because eventually they will run into a real hand of mine
Old 12-31-2005, 12:42 AM

I c-bet every single time heads-up and like 95% of the time 3-handed. I agree with cardsharkk. When I'm hitting, I can run over the table very easily and stack player after player. When I'm missing, I have to fold a lot and I leak money quickly. One thing you have to do with this strategy is represent big hands when you miss: raise preflop with AK, flop 743r, c-bet, get minraised, call and checkraise the turn. Just like you have AA. 3-bet over the top on the flop some of the time. Make sure you don't overdo it though, especially when you're running bad. I know from experience that it's a great way to throw money away very quickly.