Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Turn 2 pair , sucky river : Line check

After about 100 hands - villian is VERY LAG

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 4 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero ($50)
UTG ($55.90)
Button ($68.15)
SB ($64.70)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, UTG calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, UTG calls $16.

River: ($55.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG calls $28.40 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $83.65

What hands does villian have?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Turn 2 pair , sucky river : Line check

If he's lag he could have A3, JT or Ax. But I don't like the turn 3-bet. I'm looking to play a medium sized pot since most river cards are going to make us sick. I'd call the turn raise and go from there.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's lag he could have A3, JT or Ax. But I don't like the turn 3-bet. I'm looking to play a medium sized pot since most river cards are going to make us sick. I'd call the turn raise and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly why I raised - I think I am ahead here more often than not and wanted to make him pay for his suckout.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly why I raised - I think I am ahead here more often than not and wanted to make him pay for his suckout.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see wanting to charge him. But you still only have two pair out of position, and there are now 2 flush draws on the board along with the various broadway straights. My new approach to these situations is to keep the pot small when out of position, and valuebet him on a safe river. I like it much more if you can get him ALL-IN on the turn, but when you 3-bet here you are left in an awkward situation on the river.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:02 PM

If he's the type of lag to fire many barrels I would thinking about check/calling flop, planning to check/call the whole way unimproved as long as there isn't a 4-flush or 4-straight

Given your flop lead, I like the turn 3-bet, and if villian is enough of a lag I call the river cause he could have A3o, K4o, 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], JJ etc...