Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Blind steal turned draw

I think raising pre-flop is fine, but make it atleast $21-24. Make a normal continuation bet and if he raises you can either push or call as I doubt he's making a real raise here.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:15 AM

Oh dear, did you ever. Villain seems sensible on the flop, but that doesn't mean that you can' represent AQ or KQ here and take it down. Villain's bet of 20 into 36 communicates something along the lines of "oh [censored], someone is finally playing back at me." Maybe he has 99 or A10, but he's worried. So, if you are going to check, it better be a check-raise. I would have bet out the pot here and taken it down.

By just smoothing calling the flop, you put yourself in the position where a check on the turn and a fold on the river are not horrible. You're out of position at this point and it's surely possible that villain's bet of 20 was a semi-bluff with a 9. If you were feeling adventurous and you thought that villain is capable of making the lay down, you could represent that you were chasing the straight OR that you had something very strong like QJ and was just slowplaying. You could bet out the pot, try to take it down. I don't love this line, but assuming your opponent doesn't have a 9, it's reasonable. IMO, checking is just fine here.

I think after checking the turn, a bet on the river of anything looks too weak or too strong. I don't mind your check on the river.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:40 AM

continuation bet!
Old 12-30-2005, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. So, as played, it's between check/call lead turn and check/raise flop right? If he calls a pot-sized check/raise on the flop, how do we handle a missed turn. What about when we spike a pair? I kinda like the check/call flop, lead turn idea. But I guess it depends on whether villain reads the stop-n-go as a strong hand or a bluff stopper. Sometimes I check/call flop and check/raise allin on the turn. That's how I would usually play AA or a set against an overaggro opponent.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:48 AM

The worst thing you did this hand was the tiny preflop reraise. You have zero folding equity with that. Generally, I like to reraise pot if I reraise preflop but I'll reraise slightly larger in a blind stealing situation because the opponent will be more likely to take a flop with a wide variety of hands because he has position and his hand will be hard to read. A larger reraise discourages this.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:24 PM

I'm curious what you all suggest if he raised more preflop, bets 3/4 pot on the flop, and villain just calls, the turn is a blank. Now what?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:10 PM

It's ok to fold to a raise here and it's also ok to call a raise with KJ and let the hand develop on the flop. Once you are reraising, you better be willing to do some crazy [censored] postflop. Pretty much any time I reraise from the BB, whether I hold QQ-AA or hold suited connectors or anything else, I'm thinking to myself, there's a good chance I want to push this hand. So then, when I reraise with QQ-AA I'm getting a bunch of action.

So I don't like reraising with KJ because let's say the flop is Kxx then you're like, sweet, I've flopped top pair, but now you want to see a showdown and not necessarily play a huge pot cause the villain might have KQ or AK. Anyway...

Flop is pretty nice for you. A few ways I see playing out this hand.

1) Bet 35 on the flop. If he calls, look to checkraise all in on the turn.

2) Checkraise all in on the flop

3) Check/call the flop isn't so terrible. I'd do this with QQ-AA and if I reraised with 9Jsuited. But I'd open push the turn.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:10 PM

LEAD.