Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Any high stakes guys lurk in here?

[ QUOTE ]

I dont consider myself a great player, however I have put in alot of time and research, and learned to beat each level thru persistence and constantly plugging trying to plug holes and rerunning hands in my head wondering what i could have done to take down the pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks (personally) for your post. It adds to my drive and determination get good. Posts like yours prove it's possible. Upmost respect to people who stick at something and crack it.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 12-13-2005, 06:55 PM

It is a major hinderance.
I have very little regard for money when I play. I see money as points rather than actual capital.
My younger brother (18)takes this even further. He plays high stakes and I have seen him lose 4,000 on a hand to a 2 outer with one card to come. That would certainly cause me to take a break from poker for a few months but he just brushed it off.
Once you play a lot of hands you get used to getting lucky and unlucky. However, people like my brother and I have had a pretty easy life where money has never been a factor. Because of that, we are at a big advantage in poker.
The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. Unfair but true.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, people like my brother and I have had a pretty easy life where money has never been a factor. Because of that, we are at a big advantage in poker.
The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. Unfair but true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, and I'm glad you recognize your own good fortune. Those of us without a huge bankroll of disposable income have to work our way up by playing at stakes where the money doesn't mean as much. (Even if I lose $50 to variance in 10c-25c no-limit, I know that I can make that much back eventually at that stakes.) This is frustrating, especially when you hear rumors of beatable games at stakes you can't afford to play, but such is life. At least the time spent toiling away at low stakes gives us experience for when we move up.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:48 AM

I'm not a really high stakes player. I play up to 600NL.

When I'm playing I don't think of it as money at all.

When I'm playing it's just points that are used to keep score.

You get immune to it after a while. But at first when you move up it takes a while to adjust.

Here's what I do when I move up.

Play only one table.
Play very short sessions.

Be ready to play your "A" game. (for me this means not playing tired)
After a short session, take time to analyze every hand you played.
Make notes. Write them down on paper.
If you are playing scared or playing poorly drop down in stakes 1 or 2 levels.
Repeat.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:09 PM

paraphrasing a quote from Fortune's Formula by Poundstone, (the book is on order but i read this in B/P forum) there is nothing more clear to bankroll management than watching your bank roll disappear when you are making positive expectation bets.

im speaking from experience.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
paraphrasing a quote from Fortune's Formula by Poundstone, (the book is on order but i read this in B/P forum) there is nothing more clear to bankroll management than watching your bank roll disappear when you are making positive expectation bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow. In particular I don't understand how you're using "clear" in this paraphrase.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow. In particular I don't understand how you're using "clear" in this paraphrase.

[/ QUOTE ]

the tone of this thread reminds me of how important it is to preserve one's bankroll. the use of "clear" in the paraphrase is meant to indicate how obvious, important, "this is an good example" of bankroll management.

imagine being a winning player for a couple of years, following the guide lines for mimimum bankroll required(which i have always thought to be too low) and then having a two month long downswing.

the long run is longer than most players realize. the paraphrased quote hit me in the head. i live off my BR keeping the recommended minimum BR in play. after two months of poor results, i find myself BR broke. yes, i can rebuy.

being a 6:5 favorite and getting the worst of it for an extended period of time is a wake up call. BAM. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 04:18 AM

I strongly recommend Inside the poker mind...it'll help you become less result-oriented. all that matters is wagering as much money in with edge... result does not matter. you just tell yourself "oh well i got money in with +EV..c'est la vie, next hand!"

Also people become desensitized if they play at a particular level for a long time most of the time...and the virtual nature of online poker make you feel less attatched to the actual amount of money you are handling.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:55 PM

Thanks, mattw. I see what you're saying -- that your personal experience helped you see the importance of bankroll management.

By the way, this might be a good point to ask for everyone to keep contributing to http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Bankroll