Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-26-2005, 03:11 AM

Default cap, check/whiff, check/fold

checking this flop sucks right?

button appeared to be a tag and other guy a monkey over a small sample.

Party Poker 10.00/20.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (6.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: cap, check/whiff, check/fold

yea, bet the flop
Old 12-26-2005, 04:31 AM

Bet flop, you are up against AK so often here and they will call your bet almost always. A of clubs def sucks.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:04 AM

Hobbs, I think the difference between checking this flop and betting this flop are closer than you think. Since any A,K or club on the turn will likely ruin your hand, your equity in this pot will change dramatically with the turn card, which means the correct line of action on the flop is close between these two lines:
1) bet the flop
2) check and call the flop with the intention of donk betting a blank turn card.

IMO betting the flop is only the superior line if you believe the tag will fold AK without a club. If you think the tag will still peel the flop with AK no club if you bet, then the "check/call flop, bet turn blank line" becomes the best strategy IMO since this line will allow you to minimize your investment on the flop when you are likely in a way behind/barely ahead situaion, thus allowing you to fold to a bad turn card(A,K,club) at a minimum cost, or bet out out a turn blank when you are now in a way behind/decently ahead situation) where your equity is much larger than on the flop.

IF I had no read on either opponent I would take the bet flop line. But checking this flop does not "suck" IMO
Old 12-26-2005, 07:25 AM

We don't even have 50/50 equity against AK with any club, I'm check/calling the flop and usually donking the turn. I'm not sure the chances of getting him to fold his AK no clubs on the flop is worth it here.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:32 PM

checkraise the flop imo. turn is of course a fold.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:37 PM

I think a third player being in the hand makes getting in a sure bet by leading more appealing than check/calling, but in general I like your thoughts on this hand Wes.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
checkraise the flop imo. turn is of course a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

same.

Krishan