Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Hand Vs Good Player

Yes. But this river bet is not a bluff. That said, it's a perfectly reasonable value bet.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:09 AM

Regarding a river bluff. I see a lot of guys calling the turn checkraise with high cards that they will fold on the river. In this situation, I am not sure what the villian's turn-call means. If he will frequently turn-call high cards, I think that a bluff is warranted. If he is folding high cards on the turn and is not folding the river more than he should, then I really don't see how the bluff is worth while in this hand.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the only information you have is that your opponent is a good thinking player, I think just about any line here is fine as long as it's not the only line you'd take.

If you had more specific information on your opponent, then that should be used to alter the percentage of times you take each line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.
Here is what I'm really interested in. Assuming we checkraise the turn and miss on the river, does everyone think it is worth it to follow through with a bluff on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
im not big on following through on the river, but here i suppose youd have to because of the definite possiblity of hands like KJ...
Old 12-23-2005, 10:12 AM

I like the bet on the river as long as you don't think the player would bluff raise the river. Given that it is a draw heavy board and the size of the pot on the river, I think your opponent may call with a number of hands that you beat.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the bet on the river as long as you don't think the player would bluff raise the river. Given that it is a draw heavy board and the size of the pot on the river, I think your opponent may call with a number of hands that you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am asking about the times when we don't make a pair or a straight on the river.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. But this river bet is not a bluff. That said, it's a perfectly reasonable value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I'm asking if you would bluff.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it, a lot, though there may be some merit to check-calling the river if you think he'll bet a bust or a 9 on the river, which I think is quite possible, though I don't really know what the aggression numbers really mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

With his numbers any aggression over 2 I think is going to bet the river with lots of hands that we beat such as most pocket pairs maybe even AK AQ. Especially if we can narrow it down to aggression by street.

I would prefer check/calling this river because of this fact instead of possibly being raised.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:07 PM

CR'ing the turn sucks cos you gotta bet the river to get KJ/KT to fold (although it's still not _bad_).

CR'ing the flop sucks because there's a flush draw out and he'll put you on a draw too easily.

Find another (trickier) line if it works for you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but I'm asking if you would bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bluff if the river is a spade.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:37 AM

"there may be some merit to check-calling the river if you think he'll bet a bust or a 9 on the river,"

or check a Q.