Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-20-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Your Diet and Nutrition

[ QUOTE ]
Your attack on soy is about a billion miles away from a credible endorsement of bacon and eggs.

It also falls prey to a common fault in discussing nutrition -- what is it replacing? This seems to be pretty central to your notion of eating bacon and eggs, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Where are you getting this from? I'm not advocating bacon and eggs because soy is bad; I'm advocating staying away from soy because soy is bad.

So, (1) soy is bad. As for bacon and eggs, (2) there ain't nothing necessarily wrong with saturated fat, and often there's a lot of good there, and (3) there ain't nothing wrong with dietary cholesterol.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:45 PM

This thread is full of horrible, horrilbe advice. I am 24 and for as long as I remember, my meals mostly include fast food, microvable foods, pizza, and I do cook once in a while (pasta, hamburger, or something like that). I also daily eat chips and cheez-its (white cheddar). I hate water and drink a ton of pop, mostly mountain dew, but also drink juices and milk (chocolate). I smoke alot and drink alcohol. This is my diet and I suggest it to everyone. I am in fine shape, am not overweight, sleep well, have plenty of energy, and no medical problems. Sure, my body will explode when I turn 35, 8 years after my teeth fall out but it will be well worth the time.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Highly recommended:

[/ QUOTE ]

Highly recommended to give as a gift to people you hate.
It includes numerous instances of dangerous advice. For instance, you will be interested to learn that sun exposure does not cause skin cancer, but rather sun screen and sun block do.

Trudeau is a well-known criminal fraud. You have been duped.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:02 PM

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Seriously though --- there are a lot of good points in Trudeau's book. If you can't accept the fact that the man doesn't have a clean record, here's another good book to read: "Death by Prescription".
Old 11-20-2005, 06:37 PM

This professor who is the expert when it comes to the stomach and intestines at Albert Einstein University thinks that daily isn't good.

When it comes to nutrition, you get a lot of different opinions. I personally don't know how bad the daily is. He also thinks that too much green tea/coffee isn't good either.

Soh
Old 11-20-2005, 06:43 PM

> ...what is so wrong with white rice?

From what I know, it's not bad, but brown rice is better.

Soh
Old 11-20-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
> ...what is so wrong with white rice?

From what I know, it's not bad, but brown rice is better.

Soh

[/ QUOTE ]

Long-term consumption of refined flours (white bread, white rice, regular pasta) contributes to many health problems. Replacing these with their whole-grain counterparts is +EV.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your attack on soy is about a billion miles away from a credible endorsement of bacon and eggs.

It also falls prey to a common fault in discussing nutrition -- what is it replacing? This seems to be pretty central to your notion of eating bacon and eggs, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Where are you getting this from? I'm not advocating bacon and eggs because soy is bad; I'm advocating staying away from soy because soy is bad.

So, (1) soy is bad. As for bacon and eggs, (2) there ain't nothing necessarily wrong with saturated fat, and often there's a lot of good there, and (3) there ain't nothing wrong with dietary cholesterol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh...right.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is full of horrible, horrilbe advice. I am 24 and for as long as I remember, my meals mostly include fast food, microvable foods, pizza, and I do cook once in a while (pasta, hamburger, or something like that). I also daily eat chips and cheez-its (white cheddar). I hate water and drink a ton of pop, mostly mountain dew, but also drink juices and milk (chocolate). I smoke alot and drink alcohol. This is my diet and I suggest it to everyone. I am in fine shape, am not overweight, sleep well, have plenty of energy, and no medical problems. Sure, my body will explode when I turn 35, 8 years after my teeth fall out but it will be well worth the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL it's true when you're really young, especially if you're really physically active, you can do practically anything. I could eat and drink just astonishing amounts when I was that age, without feeling bad or having it turn to crap -- at least visible crap. My family has a history of heart disease that's pretty bad, so I'm sure my packing my arteries full of crap didn't have a long-term good effect. And now if I just drink a soda or two per day, I can see the difference on my gut.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:05 PM

Nutrition can be a lot like relgion and politics. So I will start of by admitting that I am biased. I am a survival/primitive skills instructor and make a lot of my decisions about diet (and other things) based on human evolutionary history. Things that have been around for a couple hundred years or less are highly suspect (White flour and white sugar) for me.

I tend away from factory processed foods such as soy products like soymilk (already discussed by Cosmo- I agree with most if not all of what Cosmo has said) and towards naturally processed food (usually fermented) yogurt for example. It is very difficult to get raw milk products (unpasturized) but that is what I get when possible.

I eat wild meat or meat raised by people I know,or sometimes settle for organic meat from the store- Almost all the products I buy are organic.

When I am not lazy I like to sprout or ferment grain products as raw grains have digestion-inhibiting enzymes.

NO hydrogenated oils- like Crisco or margarine

The best book in this vein that I have read is "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon.

It is very difficult to eat this type of diet in an urban area- you need access to wild areas and friends who raise animals/vegetables/fruit or a place to do it yourself. One of the many reasons I can't spend too much time in an urban area.