Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Is playing PowerBall currently +EV???

[ QUOTE ]
It's not +EV, but you should play anyway because you want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys...who gives a rats ass if it's a -EV. It's a HUGE pot that doesn't happen very often and to think of this as either a -EV or not is sense less. If you play and hit it even if you split the pot who cares, your going to be rich as hell and won't need to grind out any game you gamble at anymore.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who gives a rats ass if it's a -EV. It's a HUGE pot that doesn't happen very often and to think of this as either a -EV or not is sense less.

[/ QUOTE ]
Play every hand as if you had to do it a million times.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:54 PM

I've heard discussions of this in the past, and you need to factor in that there are prizes for getting some of the numbers right too, not just for getting the jackpot...

I'm sure this swings the EV, but I'm way too lazy to do the math.

But, honestly... there is no reason to assume it's -ev just because it's the lottery. The party bbj has gotten to +ev before and I assume powerball has and can too.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who gives a rats ass if it's a -EV. It's a HUGE pot that doesn't happen very often and to think of this as either a -EV or not is sense less.

[/ QUOTE ]
Play every hand as if you had to do it a million times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were talking the odds of Power Ball of 1 in 140 Million. If you averaged 250K hands of poker/ year then it would take you 560 years to make this -EV happen. Even then it would only be a sample of 1...LOL
Old 10-19-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Were talking the odds of Power Ball of 1 in 140 Million. If you averaged 250K hands of poker/ year then it would take you 560 years to make this -EV happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, if you're in a rush you could just buy all 140MM combinations. Then you could make it -EV right away.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Were talking the odds of Power Ball of 1 in 140 Million. If you averaged 250K hands of poker/ year then it would take you 560 years to make this -EV happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, if you're in a rush you could just buy all 140MM combinations. Then you could make it -EV right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOVE IT!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Guys...who gives a rats ass if it's a -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly wrong. Who gives a rats ass if it's +EV? When EV is dominated by a 8-digit jackpot, and your bankroll is not 8 digits, EV is a pretty irrelevant number.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
8-digit jackpot ...

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't worth discussing if it's only 8.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:26 AM

The UK lottery sometimes pushes into +EV. Someone said to me the other day "A statistician worked out that the lottery is +EV this week, and that if you take advantage of every +EV lottery opportunity, you would on average die eight times in a car crash before you win".

The variance on these types of +EV gamble is way too big for us mere mortals to use as some sort of advantage proposition. If you were a Californian Redwood with a huge bankroll, on the other hand.....
Old 10-19-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The UK lottery sometimes pushes into +EV. Someone said to me the other day "A statistician worked out that the lottery is +EV this week, and that if you take advantage of every +EV lottery opportunity, you would on average die eight times in a car crash before you win".

The variance on these types of +EV gamble is way too big for us mere mortals to use as some sort of advantage proposition. If you were a Californian Redwood with a huge bankroll, on the other hand.....

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if you had a sufficiently large bankroll, with sufficiently high table limits, you could play a Martingale because "Who cares, I'll probably die before I bust anyways"?