Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-10-2005, 09:51 AM

Default 20/40 Hand. Is this the maximum?

10 handed @ the Taj. All but one opponent are donkish looseies. I don't think I gain any more bets by playing it differently, but I am just wondering if anyone sees value in betting the flop/calling the turn.

Hero is on the button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO limps, Hero Raises to 40, SB Calls, BB Calls, all limpers Call. 8 to the flop.

Flop (8 BBs):
K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Checked around

Turn (8 BBs):
J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets 40, six calls, Hero Raises to 80, SB folds, 6 calls.

River (23 BBs):
A [clubs]
Checked to Hero who bets 40, 6 folds.

Final Board:
K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero wins uncalled.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: 20/40 Hand. Is this the maximum?

I would bet the flop. You'll get play with by pocket pairs, gutshots, a king, an ace overcard, etc. And the turn moves screams superman and might hurt your action. But it looks like it worked out this time...musta been a good game with them ALL calling the turn raise and check-folding the end. Nice pot.

Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

SB bets 40, six calls, Hero Raises to 80, SB folds, 6 calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that's pretty maximal!

(I would have bet the flop, since a preflop aggressor checking a K flop in position can raise suspicion.)
Old 05-10-2005, 12:33 PM

Bet the flop. Checking that flop through looks way too suspicious. Pocket pairs likely call you down (where as they'll fold when you raise the turn). A-high will often also take one off the flop if you bet.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:29 PM

I guess I should have included this in the original post...

As everyone sees the game was pretty great and therefore I was playing pretty aggressivly from the button with just about anyhting and had been mixing up my play after the flop well enough that this was not the first time I was checked to and gave a free turn card after raising PF. The main reason I liked checking was that sb was rather prone to c/ring just about any flop he was going to continue with so didn't want the field faced with two-called right there on the flop. Is this thinking wrong considering the pots already so big?
The players are donks but not so much that there gonna call two small bets cold with the same that they'll call just one large bet. This was a very table dependent read and worked out for the best in this spot, but I agree that most of the time I'm betting this flop as the flop check/turn pop looks overly strong and in there were 2 or more thinking players involved I certainly would not take this line.

Betting the flop is certainly my line 85-90% of the time.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Helluva game.