Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Bar buybacks

[ QUOTE ]

My question is whats a good tip for a buyback, double the normal tip? triple?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't tip after each individual round. When I go to my local bar and put in a seven or eight hour session, I always leave a $10 tip when I'm leaving. If the bartender has been banging me pretty good with buybacks, I'll leave him or her a $15 tip.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:34 PM

all i know is at my local bar i can get hammered off of fewer mixed drinks because i tip the regular bartender well.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't tip after each individual round. When I go to my local bar and put in a seven or eight hour session, I always leave a $10 tip when I'm leaving. If the bartender has been banging me pretty good with buybacks, I'll leave him or her a $15 tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Really? Bartenders are the service folks who get my special attention for tips. I can't remember the last time I didn't tip at least 25% of my tab. Usually it is closer to 33%. If they 'forget' to put a few drinks on my tab, I will tip them as if those drinks were on the tab and add in some extra for the courtesy.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never heard of this anywhere except when there are 2-for-1 specials or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ] You've never heard of buybacks? Really? Or "not" getting buy backs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of this practice at all, and I actually bartended for quite a few years. Is it a New York thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is common practice every place I've lived (SF, NYC, Atlanta, Houston, Colorado, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in Atlanta did you frequent that did this? I've probably only been to 8-10 places more than once, but I've never heard of 'buybacks'. I've had some places conveniently forget to ring up a portion of our drinks after we established ridiculous tipping histories, but never seen anything like this out in the open.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Really? Bartenders are the service folks who get my special attention for tips. I can't remember the last time I didn't tip at least 25% of my tab. Usually it is closer to 33%. If they 'forget' to put a few drinks on my tab, I will tip them as if those drinks were on the tab and add in some extra for the courtesy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say in a 7 hr session I drink 12 beers and am charged for 9. Coors Light in my bar goes for $3.50 a pop, for a total tab of about $32. A $10 tip equates to about 30%, same ballpark you're talking about.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$1/beer, considering we're talking a standard $4 pint or $3 bottle of whatever. No need to tip more on the round they get you, $1 is fine.

Getting bought back 1 for every 4 you drink used to be standard, I thought (or at least I was always pissed if a bartender wasn't doing it). These past 5 years the practice seems less common. Meh.

Always made sense to me: 4 beers at $1 tip each gets one $4 beer at no charge, as the bartender's way of saying thanks for bothering to tip (at no additional cost to them).
Old 06-21-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$1/beer, considering we're talking a standard $4 pint or $3 bottle of whatever. No need to tip more on the round they get you, $1 is fine.

Getting bought back 1 for every 4 you drink used to be standard, I thought (or at least I was always pissed if a bartender wasn't doing it). These past 5 years the practice seems less common. Meh.

Always made sense to me: 4 beers at $1 tip each gets one $4 beer at no charge, as the bartender's way of saying thanks for bothering to tip (at no additional cost to them).

[/ QUOTE ]

Then IMO you should double your tip on the buy back beer. that way on every 5 beers the bartender is making $6.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:21 PM

Buybacks are unheard of in Minnesota near as I can tell.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:35 PM

I have always referred to this as "getting the knock" since bartenders will generally rap the bar when its free. In most bars in Brooklyn where I used to drink, this was a pretty standard practice.

Here is a good secret. Next time you're out with friends at the a bar that gives knocks, convince whoever got the first round that you should just give them money and have them buy the drinks whenever it is your turn to pay, rather than getting them yourself, since otherwise you will get fewer knocks unless you're getting plastered. Then instead of waiting at a crowded bar for drinks, spend more time talking to the girls you're out with.