Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: How to Win and Lose 40k in 2 weeks

[ QUOTE ]
No offense ment to anyone involved in this thread, but this thread is a wonderful example of the different psychological problems that probability causes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-07-2005, 01:32 PM

So you were super multi-tabling 30/60, went on a good run and won 40k, then lost 40k on blackjack and now you're broke?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: a different view

"obviously its bad because its taking money out of the poker economy, etc. but i think it may actually be helping me.

about 5 times a day i get the gambling itch. and by itch i mean massive uncontrollable compulsion. in the past what i would do is fire up my regular games and go at it for 10-15 minutes, and usually book a small winner. seemingly +ev, but not necessarily. the problem is im not always in the "working" state of mind when this happens. sometimes im hungry, sometimes im tired, sometimes im shitfaced. and like i said im usually in the mood to gamble it up.

if i get stuck fast the short session can turn into a long one, which can wind up being a long -ev one depending on the exact variables involved. but even if it doesnt it might end up throwing off my sleep or meals or studying, or whatever. which only hurts my playing in the long run.

but now instead of playing i load up bj and play $15 or whatever. which doesnt seem exciting but does the trick for me (so far). even though playing lower stakes poker doesnt. i think it has something to do with the speed of the action, rapid fire results/decisions instead of folding and waiting for half the table to time out.

so i avoid the bad sessions and play basically a breakeven game even considering my ridiculous double downs."

_ I go into a 2$ sng and go all in everyhand
Old 12-07-2005, 06:28 PM

200 betting units is a HARDCORE downswing depending on how many hands you played. Are you sure you were playing perfect strategy? Did you ever bet more than 200?

How much exactly did u play?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:55 PM

well, 'broke' in the poker sense of the word. I hadn't properly played in months and then started with 5k and super multi tabled . . went on a great poker run and then lost everything including the 5k on blackjack. So I'm going to wait a bit and then start again.

Party only allows max of 200 per bet, so yeah, 200 a hand.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party only allows max of 200 per bet, so yeah, 200 a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holee. $40,000 at $200 per hand?

When I read your story I was envisioning like a few $2,000 bets or something. $200 a pop. That is terrible.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:37 AM

Diablo?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

about 5 times a day i get the gambling itch. and by itch i mean massive uncontrollable compulsion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone should have a bonus to whore somewhere, all the time. If your feeling tiltish and need to gamboool, then a half hour blackjack grind normally brings you back down.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:10 PM

Don't take offense to this but thinking you've got to play more to make up for losses is a classic gambling addiction tell. I have a friend with a serious gambling addiction. He has it under control but when he didn't this was his m.o.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:17 PM

Ok I'm not sure if you know this or not but 5k is not enough to be 6-8 tabling 30/60.