Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Blind Play: A Word of Advice for 5/10 6max

I just disagree I play tighter in the blinds and seem to do much better on average than the stats posted here, unfortunately I don't have on difinitive big DB as I left all my stats in Australia when I moved away.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok guys...

Here is an old PM I received from Peter_rus when I asked him about his blind play.

"My SB is -0.05 and BB is -0.14. Thats are average stats so i think i had some to improve there...

At 5/10 i would complete with 1 limper 79o+, 96s+, 45s+,J8o+, Kxo,Axo, Q7o,. With 2+ limpers i would complete 64o+,any suited, any two broadway cards (excluding those i would raise)."

Simply enough, I followed those suggestions and my winrate improved substantially.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely concur. I did the same (with the possible exception of Q7o and J8o, and some of the super-crappy AnyTwoSooted, e.g., 82s) and my win rate in the SB in my last 30k hands of 5/10 was +0.01. Probably ran good in there during that time, but damn . . . !
Old 05-29-2005, 05:08 AM

What do you guys think about being tighter with 2+ limper than 1 limper, I was reading Caffione and he suggests this idea, for example J8o with 1 limper is easier to play agr postflop and get away from, with more limpers you face greater chance of domination and player redraws.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:39 AM

If someone finds the peter_rus post, please post it.
I suck at finding anything in the archives.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:15 AM

Default HPFAP says of the sb ..........

HPFAP says where sb is half a bet complete with hands like 86o, and any 2 suited cards,

Who would play 86, or how many limpers would you want before you play it?

What about the any 2 suited?

If a pot is 5 handed, would you prefer to have A3o or 86o in the sb?

If it only costs 1/3 of a bet to enter the pot, every hand should be played.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think about being tighter with 2+ limper than 1 limper, I was reading Caffione and he suggests this idea, for example J8o with 1 limper is easier to play agr postflop and get away from, with more limpers you face greater chance of domination and player redraws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want some discussion on this please.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:43 AM

im not going to complete J8o against 2 limpers in a 2/5 structure. with 1 limper i will depending on how loose the guy is and how poorly he plays postflop.

i dont think my opinions have much merit here because i really dont agree with the theory of completing with anything as advised.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I want some discussion on this please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with it.

I rather play J8o against 1 limper than 2. You will ususally flop middle pair or TPNK if you hit and I think that will be easier to play 3-handed than 4 handed. Also many players will limp with a hand like JT so the risk of domination goes up with the number of players.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Sure I can complete that crap, but then what?

I would really like to see few of these crappy SB hands in action. Care to post some?

Some quick questions:
Are you playing fit-or-fold-with-haste with these hands? And hoping you actually get paid off by some chaser, who's eventually hoping that his A or K-high is good?
Do you bluff c/r out a better hand when a face card turns? Bluff with an A on flop?
Also, don't you have problems extracting value because of your bad position? Is c-c/c-c/bet as useful as I think it might be in this position? I'd guess you'll often be behind and don't want to spew too many chips in these marginal situations.

I'm interested where the EV of these hands comes from. It has to be bluffing and/or implied odds and/or attrocious play of your opponents, because PF, you are usually behind with 86o.

Best
-pix
Old 05-30-2005, 08:23 AM

i think if you have a good handle on your opponents and dont chase too much you can profitably play trash out of the SB

schneids has previously posted some of his stats on the topic - he was winning with small unsuited connectors and semi connectors over a big sample as a set of hands - if memory serves his view on what you could profitably complete with was lower than several good players (including acknowledged limit holdem god - vehn)

i'm never too sure about the argument whether you should play certain trash with more or less runners - it seems to me that most of the time your putting lots of chips in post-flop your happy for runners

stripsqueez - chickenhawk