Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Taking the coin-flip to get a monster stack?

I played this hand in the Stars $3-rebuy, and I think I know the right decision, but thought I should get other perspectives.

We're into the money at this point; I think 220 paid, and there are maybe 140 left. I have an above average stack of ~90k, but the blinds are getting high at 3k/6k plus antes, so nobody is particularly tall at this point.

Villain in this hand is UTG, and has t70k. Table has been very tight, with most PF raises taking down the pots. Occasionally a shorty will push and get called, but that's about it for flops.

The hand is pretty simple: Villain open pushes, and it's folded to Hero in the BB with JJ.

Here is my thinking on his hand:
-Not AA. Yes he's approaching 10BB, but I have to think he would make a smaller raise here, and hope for some business.
-Maybe KK. But again, this is a big enough hand I can't see many players betting like they don't want a flop.
-AK-AJ, QQ-88. Now we're getting somewhere. Good hands, but hate to be OOP when the flop misses their unpaired broadway, or overcards to their pocket pair.

If I win, I'm the new chip leader, and would have nearly twice the stack of the rest of my table. This would be a nice position to be in.

Alternately, I can fold, and continue to steal. I've been doing it a lot lately.

Your thougts?

Sam