Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 05:11 PM

Default New Orleans

Me and my buddy will be staying in New Orleans may 17-27 for a WPT event. From what I understand, the rake is 5 dollars plus 1 dollar jackpot.
We've been discussing how sick this is, and we are both considering not tipping the entire trip. It will be bad, considering both of us have been dealers for at least a week or 2 each. He plays lower limits so the rake could really hurt him. Any other suggestions on how to show our disapproval with the high rake without having to screw the dealers or not play altogther?

thanks
Old 04-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: New Orleans

i dunno. win a lot? i played great for 3 days at Harrah's there and ran about even thanks to the rake... of course, "great" is relative because this was last summer and I wasn't nearly a good a player then as I am now...
Old 04-26-2005, 02:35 AM

WPT event? Don't you mean WSOP circuit event? I am also attending this. I am pretty sure the Harrah's poker room is going to be packed with a huge waiting list. If it gets too bad if I am not playing one of the tournys, I might drive to gulfport/biloxi.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:05 AM

yes...this is the WSOP circuit event...not WPT.

They should be setting up tournament-tables outside the main poker-room and I wold assume they will have side-games going on in whatever convention-room of the hotel this is taking place in also.

They could still be really jammed... but I would think they will set up more space somewhere in there wouldn't they?

I wouldn't mind getting down there for this event myself but it's looking doubtful.

Regarding the rake.
It sucks.

Play higher or win a lot I guess (or both).

I suppose being a little less generous on tipping wouldn't be SO terrible.
Like a small-ish pot where you MAYBE would tip a dollar if you are feeling generous would now become a no-tip hand.

One of the more recent times I was there I was sitting in a 3/6 game (or maybe it was 4/8) next to a guy who would tip $4 or $5 for every hand he would win.
One time he won a $10 or $15 pot or something and tipped $5.
No point really...just something this thread reminded me of.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:36 AM

last year they filled the Poker Room and busted those tables to fill the tables setup in the earl turner center. I can't remember how many tables they had in there, but it was a lot.... great room too... it should be great...

JET
Old 05-05-2005, 11:04 AM

Yeah the rake is high and they have the jackpot drop as well, but the games are usually so juicy, that it more than makes up for it.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:05 AM

The vast majority of the dealers there are good people. I wouldn't advise taking out your frustration over Harrah's greed on them.

Besides, the low-limit games there are so good that you won't mind the extra rake.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:55 PM

The 3/6 game here is so juicy, the rake makes practically no difference. Think about it, New Orleans is one of the hottest tourist destinations in the world, and just about the only place on earth more debaucherous than Vegas. Harrah's low limit games are PACKED with drunken idiot tourists who commonly don't know how to play limit because "they don't show this game on the TV." It's hilarious and profitable, all at once.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 3/6 game here is so juicy, the rake makes practically no difference. Think about it, New Orleans is one of the hottest tourist destinations in the world, and just about the only place on earth more debaucherous than Vegas. Harrah's low limit games are PACKED with drunken idiot tourists who commonly don't know how to play limit because "they don't show this game on the TV." It's hilarious and profitable, all at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems to me that it would be pretty tough to beat a $3-$6 game when the tourists are wasted. it seems like it would be much easier to be a $100 nlhe game.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:23 PM

Don't feel too sorry for yourself. Harrah's in N'awlins is my home room. There is a small, little known room across the Mississippi about 15 min. from Harrah's called Boomtown, but it's only 10 tables I think. Their rake is only 4 max.