Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Do you make moves when you\'re card dead?

Playing in a MTT as we speak, and I've literally been completely card dead for at least 5 or 6 orbits. There's a lot of raising and general loose PF play at my table, but I am getting absolutely nothing playable.

I'm currently at $5500 chips with $200BB and $25 ante so I'm not in emergency mode yet. I've had almost no opportunities to steal the blinds.

Do you make moves under these conditions or remain patient and wait for the cards?

Oh and I just got T4o for the 6th time in 7 hands. How's that for continuing my streak of running bad the last month.

EDIT AGAIN - To make matters worse I'm sitting at 5200 chips and just got moved to a table where the next shortest stack is 9800 and the largest is 24000. Talk about no FE. Goddamnit.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Do you make moves when you\'re card dead?

Wow...apparently it's a well kept secret. 17 views and no feedback. Thanks a lot.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:30 AM

Recent thread
Old 07-27-2005, 03:15 AM

Yes.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:32 AM

If you do get it folded to you late then yeah, you could at least try to grab the blinds. You could also try restealing out of the BB if a particularly aggressive player raises you from LP. However, I wouldn't get carried away with it. You are card dead now, but the table you describe is going to pay you hansomely when you get a hand. Try to slip in a couple steals if you can to stay afloat, but really what you are looking for is one hand that is going to double you up. If the players are loose and aggressive, the way to beat them is to value bet like a mother.

Of course, you could also just stay card dead for the rest of the tournament, and there comes a point where you're just going to have to start pushing to stay afloat. Sometimes, that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:07 AM

I am going to disagree with cferejohn a bit here. There is a GOOD thing about being card-dead, assuming you are playing a high buyin tourney, such as a super. That is that you have a tight image. This means that people are going to respect your raises, at least the first couple of times you do it. So pick somebody who tries to steal the blinds whenever possible, and resteal on them... with nothing.

The good thing about this is that if you don't do this, the first time you get a real hand, you won't get any action on it. But suppose you resteal somebody now, and then the next time he steals, you have a REAL hand... he remembers laying down his hand earlier, and he might call in spite. You want your big hands to pay off, so you need to keep up some level of aggressiveness no matter how bad you are running.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to disagree with cferejohn a bit here. There is a GOOD thing about being card-dead, assuming you are playing a high buyin tourney, such as a super. That is that you have a tight image. This means that people are going to respect your raises, at least the first couple of times you do it. So pick somebody who tries to steal the blinds whenever possible, and resteal on them... with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure we are entirely disagreeing here. I agree that you should take advantage of your tight image and mix in some steals/resteals, but don't go overboard with it. And also make sure you are doing it against players who can lay something down. Once you have stolen a few times, it's pretty easy to get carried away with it, so watch that.