Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 12:49 AM

Default I think I\'m turning a corner...

I think I may finally be entering the phase of poker playing where I can really win on a consistent basis.

Background: The first half of 2005 was one of the most brutal times I've ever had at the table, because my life outside the cardroom was in shambles. Consequently, it was easier to tilt me than it is to get wet when it's raining. Basically, any "bad beat"(which they weren't, mostly...just getting outrun) would result in me cursing, screaming, throwing things, and losing all of my money in short order. The reason was, I was in such a bad place otherwise, that I just wanted to feel like I had control of something in my life, even if it was just poker. When I couldn't do that, I lost all my bankroll and had to walk away from the game in the early summertime.

Now...about three weeks ago, something happened to me that jolted me back into my old, confident, relaxed mindset(I would share, but it's small and really wouldn't mean much to anyone but me). I had planned to not play poker until 2006, but something felt good about the idea.

Lo and behold, I am back on my feet. My roll is nothing like it was, and I'm riding some waves, but I'm not feeling the same way I was before. I still curse a bit at bad beats(actual bad beats...KK vs. QQ and so forth), but my impulse control has returned. I've started winning again. I've started feeling like I was better than the people I was playing(which sounds arrogant, but is actually intrinsic to my game, because I play better when I think I'm better, since I then have to walk the walk in my head). I am the player I used to be, except, I feel as though the experience has made me better, somehow.

It just feels nice to be back in the game. Just wanted to share. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: I think I\'m turning a corner...

[ QUOTE ]
something happened to me that jolted me back into my old, confident, relaxed mindset (I would share, but it's small and really wouldn't mean much to anyone but me)

[/ QUOTE ]
Go for it.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:04 AM

Nah...it's irrelevant, anyway...and the post was cheesy enough as it is.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nah...it's irrelevant, anyway...and the post was cheesy enough as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read it. Not bad. Next time edit faster.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I read it. Not bad. Next time edit faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is it
Old 11-25-2005, 08:53 AM

You've only been back three weeks.

If your play depends on thinking you're better than everyone else, it sounds like losing can hit you very, very hard and send your playing into a complete nosedive.

Keep your head on straight. And try to keep your emotions and self-image out of it.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:03 PM

I understand your point. I will bear that in mind. Thanks.