Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is Hotter
Tiffany Amber Theissen 60 22.73%
Elisha Cuthbert 204 77.27%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2005, 11:36 PM

Default 10/20 NL Party: Handling Table Image

I've played 6 rounds. I've shown two hands down. One was 9 hands ago with KK where I reraised CO raise preflop from BB then got it all in against 8 10 and won. The other was last hand where I raised UTG+1 with 56, got 3 callers flopped bottom pair on A-high board, bet 3/4 pot, got min-raised, called, spiked two-pair and stacked AK.
VERY next hand I get A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG
I raise to 70 (same as previous hand) and UTG+1 reraises to 200. He has only been sitting down for 2 rounds and has played 3 hands, twice calling a raise. He has $2160. I call.
Flop:
3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, villain bets 400, I check-raise to 1000.
The flop I think plays itself. Won't reveal results. The question is
Old 06-28-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: 10/20 NL Party: Handling Table Image

Why on earth did you checkraise to $1000?
Old 06-28-2005, 08:20 AM

I figured if this guy was putting a move on me preflop or raising with less than premium holdings he would have to bet to take the pot down. So I figured I could take it off his hands. Is it the checkraise or the amount that you don't like?
Old 06-28-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it the checkraise or the amount that you don't like?

[/ QUOTE ]

What ML4L said.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it the checkraise or the amount that you don't like?

[/ QUOTE ]

What ML4L said.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with others, the almost min check raise is very bad...

call me greedy, but i really like a weak lead/3 bet all in - it puts anything below KK or AA to shame and is a line many take with a set. your folding equity decreases slightly but not too much i don't think because despite villain's better odds to call, it's more of a line for a monster. and i haven't done the math, but the dead money might very well make up for the loss in fold equity... so personally, especially if i'm in a gambling mood, i like a weak lead/3 bet all in.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:11 AM

three betting the flop looks alot stronger, so it has more folding equity

also, villain will be putting more money into the pot when you get raised, as you will extremely often as your image means youre getting zero credit for a hand; thus you win a bigger pot and villain is not pot stuck with a marginal hand

check raising works better when you seem tighter/weaker and people will try to continuation bet bluff you, but in this case its clear a lead by Hero is most likely best

in response to flsex, i really dont think youre losing much fold equity at all, it really does look more like how a decent player plays a set
Old 06-28-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop I think plays itself.

[/ QUOTE ] Really? I definitely see a few possible lines. Care to explain why you think this is the clear one?
Old 06-28-2005, 12:09 AM

Lead flop and 3-bet all in?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:27 AM

I think calling is fine preflop; your image is such that villain is not necessarily giving you credit for a premium hand.

I agree with others, however, that your flop CR to $1k is abysmal. What are you going to do if villain calls your flop raise and the turn bricks? Check-fold? Check-call for all your chips? Lead all-in? (the only semi-decent line of the three, imo, but you probably have about zero folding equity, so it still sucks)

W/ big draws, the goal is to keep the pot small or get all the money in the middle. Since the first option is basically impossible after the preflop action and villain's pot-sized bet on the flop, we might as well get it all-in.

xorbie mentioned the lead, reraise line. I think this is a prefect spot to lead for $250-$350 and then come over the top of villain's reraise, which I'd guess he's going to do about 95% of the time on the flop here (I just pulled that out of my ass, of course, but given hero's holding in the previous hand and his lead for a 3/4-pot pet w/ bottom pair in that situation, I'd be shocked if hero led at this flop and didn't get raised here).

I guess a CR all-in on the flop wouldn't be terrible in this spot, either, b/c hero likely has no folding equity anyway, so he isn't losing that by taking a line that announces he has a big draw.

Hmm, I'm also curious if this is an EV+ spot to get all-in on this flop vs. villain's likely hand range? I'm not the guy to figure it out, but if we give him 99-AA, AKs, AKo, and AQs, is hero a favorite over this hand range in the long run?

Thanks if anyone feels like tackling that one. Oh, and feel free to add to or subtract from the hand range I came up w/, of course.

-neon
Old 06-28-2005, 02:23 AM

Board: 2s 5d 8s
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 52.5063 % [ 00.50 00.02 ] { AsQs }
Hand 2: 47.4937 % [ 00.45 00.02 ] { AA-99, AKs-AJs, AKo }

So he is a favorite against his range. If you take out AQs and 99, he becomes a dog.

Board: 3s 5d 8s
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 47.8886 % [ 00.47 00.01 ] { AsQs }
Hand 2: 52.1114 % [ 00.52 00.01 ] { AA-TT, AKs, AKo }