Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 01:24 AM

Default against a TAG... my next step

Was I over-agressive on the flop? Villian is a known TAG, he rarely plays a hand, but when he does it is very aggressive yet cautious. It would not surprise me if he was a 2+2er, a good player.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, Hero......

What should I do, and why?

a) If I 3-bet, TAG may be smart enough to fold. He's a wise player, and uses raises to flesh out weekness.
b) Use the Stop &amp; Go on his Axx!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 01:30 AM

Default Re: against a TAG... my next step

Either 3-bet or go for a check/raise on 4th. He will surely bet the turn when checked to, correct? The only play I don't get is the heads-up stop and go unless you think he will detect weakness in it. I'm afraid that he might just calldown if the hero SnG's.

Brad
Old 11-22-2004, 01:31 AM

probably want to remove the red from the Hero ???? pretty obvious you're raising
Old 11-22-2004, 01:37 AM

this depends on how good of a TAG he is, if he's cautious he might see through the smooth call - check/raise on the turn. the stop and go might trip him up into a raise so you can 3-bet. what's your table image? are you check/raising a lot?
Old 11-22-2004, 01:42 AM

My table image is LAG LAG LAG.... I've been very lucky tonight, I must look like a lucky fool. TAG is a good player, he is no fool. He is cautious, yet very agressive. He knows when to back off.

PS: I didn't know you can edit posts 20 mins later... thats cool!

Old 11-22-2004, 01:44 AM

I would three bet now, he aint slowing down with AA, AK and if he does by some miracle have a flush draw he'll think about the free card. but unless he has AJ of clubs, which would be a weird three bet, I dont know what else he could have...you are either way ahead of AK, AA, (less likely TT, JJ) - or virtually dead to KK. that said, there are more hands you beat, and you gotta get the money in...if he caps, you can think about calling down, but I still probably lead the turn in that case.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:49 AM

The only hand that scares me at this point is KK. The odds of that happening are tiny.

Villian is the kind of guy who might slow down with AA, AK, or even AQ. He is a wise player, from what little I have witnessed.

I'll tell you what I did in the morning... more input please. Nobody has even begun to discuss the possible outcome that happened, hence why I want to hear more.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll tell you what I did in the morning... more input please. Nobody has even begun to discuss the possible outcome that happened, hence why I want to hear more.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have mentioned SnG, 3-betting, calling and c/r the turn...all that is left is 3-betting the flop and going for a turn c/r anyway, but I don't think that he would fall for it.

Brad
Old 11-22-2004, 02:06 AM

based on what you've said i think you either 3-bet and he dropped it, or you 3-bet, he called then you bet the turn and he dropped it. either way you're pissed b/c you got little value out of a monster b/c you scared him off. right ?
Old 11-22-2004, 02:10 AM

I wonder what range of hands he could put me on here...if he's a good thinking player who sees me as TAG and knows that I see him that way, a pf cap followed by a flop three bet on this board would narrow my hand down to AA, AK, KK, or QQ, in his eyes.

I think if he caps he's saying he can beat AK. then by pure probability it's 2/3 that you're good (6 combos of AA, 3 of KK) that you're beaten, and you can bet the turn and call down to a raise. if he calls your three bet, I still call down if he raises the turn I think.

but all of these permutations involve me 3-betting the flop and leading the turn.