Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: After SSHE

[ QUOTE ]
"In limit Hold'em you are not raising pre flop with big hands to thin the field. You are raising with them because you are pushing your pot equity advantage."
English please.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have 5 opponents, if all stay in you're getting 5-1 on your raise. If your hand has odds to win better than that you should be raising. You only have to win with the hand more than 1/6 of the time to be ahead. Or something like that.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:40 PM

Too confusing. I'm sticking to NL.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Too confusing. I'm sticking to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start reading Small Stakes Hold'em, and you won't need to ask these questions.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 05:29 PM

Oh, believe me, I will, I'm going to the store today and buying it. Ed should thank me when he gets his next royalty check. I want to see what all the hype is about.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, believe me, I will, I'm going to the store today and buying it. Ed should thank me when he gets his next royalty check. I want to see what all the hype is about.

[/ QUOTE ]

No hype, but from the questions you asked it is clear you do not have a firm grasp of the fundamentals of limit poker. Reading SSHE will help you see the light for sure.

On a side note, although it’s presented as a beginner's book, Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed Miller is also highly recommended for someone with your current skill set. It will help you unlearn your bad habits and misunderstandings of the game (which 95% of all players share, please don't think I'm picking on just you) before turning to SSHE.

Lastly, spend a lot of time in the micro limit forums here asking questions, posting hand histories, etc. It will turn you into a solid player in not time!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 07:37 PM

I don't think I have bad habits, my experience is in NL. Limit is an entirely different beast. A lot of people play limit, therefore I wouldn't mind giving it a try to expand my repitoire.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I have bad habits, my experience is in NL. Limit is an entirely different beast. A lot of people play limit, therefore I wouldn't mind giving it a try to expand my repitoire.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what *TT* meant was that sometimes what is good for NL poker can be a bad thing for limit and vice versa (a lot of concepts such as pot odds and position still apply though). I think that what he also meant is that you will have to adjust your mindset/thinking to have success at limit, as they require different strategies.

Anyway, I do agree that you could be better off with GSIH before going on to SSH.

Good luck,
PJS
Old 12-02-2005, 08:00 PM

Not to sound snotty at all...but if you don't undertand, start with the books Ed mentions and you will!

---Leavenfish
Old 12-02-2005, 08:08 PM

Yo Kinky... You got sooooo hooked up with these recommendations. Don't even bother with anything else. These books should be your curriculum for the next few years.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:57 PM

Actually a limit player can learn a great deal from playing no limit

I was strugling at limit play .. (and yes I've both read SSH and ITHE .. but it seemed that I was slowly bleeding try.

No limit hold'em teaches you aggression .. and most of all pushing your edge hard

It also teaches you how to manipulate pot odds ... that game is all about giving opponent wrong pot odds to draw .. and yet only slightly wrong, so that they will be tempted to draw anyway

Needless to say, after returning to limitplay .. I'm not strugling

I hope 2+2 get around to publishing a nolimit holdem for the advanced player book ... Basically what we got to rely on is Harrington volume 1