Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Doom Chips: I Emailed id software and got a reply.

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think that getting customized one-off sets of things like this for personal use pose any significant copyright concern for anyone.

[/ QUOTE ] I think by "one-off" he means getting a one production run made for personal use. Basically the impression i get is, they dont care im not hurting anyone or anything. They arnt gonna waste their time and money tying up their legal department with it to get me approval. The chip company is going to be making a profit either way, they arnt making money off the copyright material, they are making a profit off the service they provide. If i cant get this design through Im just going to custom design something else, either way they are going to make their money by providing their service, the design is irrelivant. I think the chip companys just dont want to get sued for printing something thats copyright trying to provide their service, based on that email I dont think thats going to be an issue.

It would be a different story if a chip company offered "limited edition doom chips" to the masses and marketed that way, thats making money off the likeness, and I think thats what id (or any other company) is trying to protect themselves against.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:38 PM

I think it's just a case of everyone trying to Cover Their Ass (tm).

The chip company knows good and well that making a poker chip set for personal use will probably never generate any signfiicant legal action against them. But in order to not have to defend against any legal action, which is always expensive, they try to Cover Their Ass by making you get explicit permission.

Hollenshead knows exactly the same thing, but in order to protect his job he tells you that he doesn't have the power to make that decision and furthermore won't personally champion it for you. He's Covering His Ass.

The lawyers, of course, will probably never assent to it, because they want to reserve the option of justifying their existence with stupid and pointless lawsuits against a chip making company or a poker player who is just a fan of their game.

This is how our society works nowadays. Everybody is so busy Covering Their Ass that common sense no longer applies.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:53 PM

It's not a question of covering their collective asses. It is a protection of intellectual property. The chip manufacturer should not be able to profit from the unauthorized use of protected material. They are almost certainly charging "art" fees for copying someone else's work.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:59 PM

We've already established that a "one-off" sort of thing hardly qualifies as the chip maker profiting from unauthorized use of someone else's material. At least in the eyes of Todd Hollenshead, who is the CEO of id software and would appear to have a more vested interest than you or I.

So the only thing preventing him from giving the green light was just to keep the lawyers happy.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We've already established that a "one-off" sort of thing hardly qualifies as the chip maker profiting from unauthorized use of someone else's material

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never seen this "established." Id very well might not care (because it is a one-off) but that doesn't change the fact that the chip maker is charging money to sell a protected image. It would be no different than if I sold you a burned copy of a movie. I would be profiting from selling someone else's protected material.

[ QUOTE ]
So the only thing preventing him from giving the green light was just to keep the lawyers happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. It might also be that he used the lawyers as an excuse so that he looked like the good guy and the lawyers were the bad guys. I think either is equally likely.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:04 PM

blah blah blah

Anyways... what's the future plan now, Damage?
Old 10-12-2004, 09:48 PM

Default Revision 2

I am still going to push forward with this design. A) Because I enjoy working on this project, and B) Cuz i feel like it. Ill deal with chipco and copyrights when it comes to that. I am nearing my final design, Only things left Im not entirly thrilled about are the edge stripes (I might go to 3 or 4 solid stripes) and I might add a 6th Purple Chip. But anyway, here is the near final draft.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Revision 2

[ QUOTE ]
I am still going to push forward with this design. A) Because I enjoy working on this project, and B) Cuz i feel like it. Ill deal with chipco and copyrights when it comes to that. I am nearing my final design, Only things left Im not entirly thrilled about are the edge stripes (I might go to 3 or 4 solid stripes) and I might add a 6th Purple Chip. But anyway, here is the near final draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take back everything I said. These look great. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ten
Old 10-12-2004, 10:51 PM

You might consider changing either the green stripe on the white chip or the white stripe on the green chip. If they get stacked together, it might be tough to quickly spot which is which.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might consider changing either the green stripe on the white chip or the white stripe on the green chip. If they get stacked together, it might be tough to quickly spot which is which.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was honestly thinking the same thing, Im still not entirly sure on these color combinations