Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Addiction is a disease?

Nice post.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:36 PM

Ridge I'm glad you feel so confident as an undergraduate to attack the ignorence of others. Of course this arrogance tends to be limited to undergraduates. I had lost it by the time I received my Phd in psychology. Of course if you bothered to take the time to read the whole thread ans see my earlier post you would know that, but you were too busy being authoritative in that cute undergraduate way. Anyway I wish you luck in your education, I hope you go beyond chemistry to actual psychology.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:46 AM

Not as misguided as you think. 90% bullsh!t and 10% common sense was obviously tongue in cheek. The point is that SSRI's are very dangerous, very overprescribed, and those PSYCHIATRISTS who prescribe them freely to treat "depression" or "bi-polar" behavior are irresponsible and harmful to society. And they most definitely ARE lackeys for big pharma, who most definitley ARE the real villains when it comes to the massive amounts of SSRI's and other so-called "anti-depressants" and "mood stabilizers" that are being consumed every day by unsuspecting kids, parents, and young adults. These drugs are doing FAR more harm than good, the big pharmaceuticals KNOW this is true, yet they promote them aggressively anyway, because they are very profitable. It's disgusting and it needs to change.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You show me a full blown alcoholic that has quite cold turkey. You can't do it because your body is dependant on alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]
You will find thousands of examples -- but you have to open your eyes to find them.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it foolish to say 'mental illness' or 'addictions' are diseases.

The labels are a very convenient mechanism for both the 'sufferer' and the labeler.

The person labeled wins because they are exonerated from personal responsibility.

The labeler...benefits because they have created a whole new class of clients needing assessment, treatment and diagnosis for these 'diseases.'

We are now being told that using too much caffeine, smoking, being shy, easily distracted, staying online for long hours, shoplifting, drinking, etc. are diseases.

There are financial incentives ... Insurance companies now are doling out billions to medically treat what was once thought of as merely immoral, sinful, neurotic, foolish behavior.

My personal bias is seeking explanations that maximize free will.

[/ QUOTE ]

There has been a trend in the USA in the last 40 years or so to reduce emphasis on the responsibility of an individual. Governments have taken on more responsibility to take care of adult persons who are financially unsucessful on their own. Companies who sell consumer products are bear a greater responsibility for their products with less emphasis on responsibility on an individual who chooses to use, misuse, or take risks with the product.

The downside to the individual is that this tends to reinforce the idea that an individual has less control and power over their lives than they really do. People have the power to make choices in their life. Realizing and excercising that power that tends to liberate, enrich and bring happiness and prosperity into a person's life. Denying or reducing that belief tends to have the opposite effect.