Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: anyone else NOT read poker books?

[ QUOTE ]
The reason some of us read books and study the game is because we believe that the game is more complicated than "will he fold?" The question is "will he fold often enough to make this bet profitable?" which is a vastly different question. The first question requires some combination of being a mind reader or a home game champion who is a pompous ass. The second requires knowledge of game theory, pot odds, and bluffing frequency. So whatever your poison is, run with it.

[/ QUOTE ] FYP

Its two different schools of thought really. You can break the game of poker down into simply: What do I have? Does this beat my opponent? If not, if I bet, will he fold? While this may not be the most complete, or intellectual approach to the game, it none the less has merit as a "Poker Theory". And I'm sure with enough practice this simplitistic, or more "feeler" approach could be profitable. Its how most people start out anaylzing the game (once they get beyond the what do I have stage).

A player like Jennifer Harman does not use in depth concepts such as bluffing frequency. She has admitted herself that sometimes she bets merely because she knew the other player would fold.

Is the game more complicated than "will my opponent fold?" I guess that depends on your point of view. But, that is what makes poker so great. On the surface the game is so simple but it can be so complicated. I think the game is as simple or complex as you make it.

Although, I still don't know how anyone can be successful at poker without reading some kind of book on it, or being taught certain skills by someon else who is skilled.

Good discussion, has me thinking.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]RIDGE [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 10:50 PM

I agree 100% withm jeff here. I didnt know anything about bluffing until I read the theory of poker and the correct way to bluff, especially in limit poker.

I dont want to be rude, but you're way off here, bro.

Pick up a copy, I dont wanna explain it here, and you have to read it more than once anyways to understand optimal bluffing frequency.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can break the game of poker down into simply: What do I have? Does this beat my opponent? If not, if I bet, will he fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty awesome way to think about poker. You left out an important part though. When deciding to call a bet with a gutshot or a flush draw, I just ask myself, will I hit it?
Old 10-29-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can break the game of poker down into simply: What do I have? Does this beat my opponent? If not, if I bet, will he fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty awesome way to think about poker. You left out an important part though. When deciding to call a bet with a gutshot or a flush draw, I just ask myself, will I hit it?

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you break his question of "If I bet will he fold" down to its ultimate level it encompasses all the things his opponant will have to decide. Pot odds, hitting that gutshot, etc. His bluff must be at the right level and he must sell it well enough that he isn't called. I think that reading books on poker and tells would make him a better overall player and able to make this decision correctly enough times to pay off.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:08 AM

xenophobia.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus CHRIST!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
A pun is the lowest form of humor, and it wasn’t much of a joke – but lighten up. Sheesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought a guy getting hit in the nuts with a football is the lowest form of humor.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus CHRIST!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
A pun is the lowest form of humor, and it wasn’t much of a joke – but lighten up. Sheesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought a guy getting hit in the nuts with a football is the lowest form of humor.

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy getting hit in the nuts is the lowest form of humor for people who don't read. A pun is the lowest form of humor for those who do so see it all comes back to OP's question. Do you see why?
Old 10-29-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the best players of today, Doyle Brunson and Mr. David S. himself were making big money at the poker tables before any such literature was out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't thinl God ever read The Bible. But people keep telling me it's a Good Book. I'd much rather learn from other people's donks than make them myself.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious?

Has somebody rote something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. The poker boom is already paying great dividends for our society!

Keep on dropping out of college, you .5/1 3-tablers!

I suggest dictionary.com before opening your ignorant mouth.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious?

Has somebody rote something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. The poker boom is already paying great dividends for our society!

Keep on dropping out of college, you .5/1 3-tablers!

I suggest dictionary.com before opening your ignorant mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touché.

Your a prick.