Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Heres the down and dirty of the speech

With the exception of the ill-advised mockery of Kerry, I thought the speech was excellent, both in terms of content and delivery.

Note that Bush's strategy is to paint Kerry as a man of the past, and himself as a man building a bridge to the future, the same strategy Clinton used to effectively against Dole in their debates in 1996.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Heres the down and dirty of the speech

Rather than continuing his Vietnam references, Kerry would be much better advised to start dealing with the issues. The one you bring up is a good start: Bush talks about Kerry being a tax-and-spend guy, but Bush is a spend-and-spend guy. He talks about restraining federal spending but look what he's actually done. He should point up what the unemployment rate was when Bush took office, what the poverty rate was, how many jobs were created/lost in the Clinton years vs. Bush's fist term, etc. And if Bush says he inherited the recession or that 9/11 created problems, Kerry should ask him if he's going to just take credit for good things and place blame for the bad things on somebody or something else. In a Kerry administration, we won't pass the buck and do that. He should give details about the lack of planning and the deliberate ignoring of post-war planning that have caused so many of the problems in Iraq. (Kerry should read James Fallows' analysis which appeared in The Atlantic a few months ago.) If Bush is so passionate about the programs he proposed in his speech, why were these things ignored during the first term? And don't lie about my proposals: I am not running on a program of tax increases. I want to rescind the reduction of the marginal tax rate only on the incomes of those people making $200,00 a year or more, and only on that portion of their income which is in that highest tax bracket. And you're right when you say we have different ideas. I don't believe a waitress making $20,000 a year deserves the same percentage tax cut as a lawyer making $200,000 a year.

Too bad I'm too busy with other things, I could be Kerry's Karl Rove. And it appears he needs one. Badly.