Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 06:18 PM

Default 2pair put all in on flop vs. tight player

Home game.. $20NL, .25/50 blinds, 7-handed
Hero has about $20
Villain about $20 as well.

Villain is a tight player, otherwise this is usually an instant-call for me.

Hero is dealt: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in late position
MP (villain) opens for $1.50
MP2 calls
Hero calls

Flop: ($5)
6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP overbets the pot with $10

Hero ???

It would be VERY unlikely for villain here to be pushing with something like A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (I've played plenty with him....he just won't do this).

He pretty much raises to $1.50 with any hand, be it AA or AJs.

Am I more likely to put him on something like JJ-AA where I'm way ahead, or something like TT where I'm totally dominated?

Like I said, there's very little chance this guy is semi-bluffing the flush.

Looks like a push against overpairs right?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: 2pair put all in on flop vs. tight player

he's got TT-AA.. for your sake let's hope it's not TT.. hard to lay this one down.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:27 PM

My thoughts (in no particular order):

Even if we give villain a fairly tight PFR range (TT+, and AK) you're waaaay ahead of almost all of these.

One thing to consider is what your image is like. It's very possible that villain's large overbet is a play aimed specifically at you.

A massive overbet on the flop usually means that villain doesn't want a call. If villain had TT, he would likely try to keep you calling (at least he would if he knew what he was doing).

Last, it's possible villain has something like ATs, and has decided that since he's likely to end up all-in by the river, he might as well push now.

Added up, all these random thoughts make me think I should call. If I loose, I make a note of how villain played it, and keep my eyes open for this trick later on.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:31 PM

Most players wouldn't make this bet with TT. I put him on JJ-AA or AT possibly afraid of the possible flush draw, but most likely an overpair. I call here.

*Awhile back I had a similar situation happened to me in a home game when I flopped bottom two on what I think was a ten high board similar to the one you described, and was reraised all in by a tight player I knew very well after betting the flop. I thought about it for a long time and folded fearing a set. He showed an overpair JJ.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:35 PM

I agree with the stated hand ranges. Take his money here, for sure.