Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Is Wayne Allyn Root a nutjob?

I bought Wayne Allyn Root's "The Zen of Gambling" without knowing much about him, (I'm a gambling book addict), and Parts i looked through seemed like it had more than it's fair share of chest-beating. as I was skimming through a part about Sports Betting, most of which was standard advice, I came upon a passage where he said something to the effect of "Don't vary your bet size as a proportion of your total bankroll, unless you are ahead, because then you are gambling with the houses's money!" Aghast, I envisioned John Patrick immediately and dropped the book. What kind of rep does this guy have?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Is Wayne Allyn Root a nutjob?

personally, I wouldn't listen to anything some guy who screams over my radio is saying. But in terms of bet sizing, I agree...although maybe for different reasons. I'm a flat bettor. Every bet I make is 1% of my bankroll. When my bankroll has increased by 25%, I readjust my flat bet.
However, if I am down 25%, I will not readjust. If such a downswing occurs, and I change my bet to a lower unit, it will now take longer to get out of this hole. While I admit that it is safer, a 1% bankroll unit is plenty safe. So, I am consistently moving up my bets, and never going down...
Old 07-24-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of rep does this guy have?

[/ QUOTE ]

The absolute worst.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What kind of rep does this guy have?

[/ QUOTE ]

The absolute worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like you tech. Maybe we could work out a lesson swap plan. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The absolute worst.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-25-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The absolute worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-25-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we could work out a lesson swap plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you have in mind? Send me PM if you want.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:10 AM

I read Root's book it was a good read and really illustrates the public and how not to bet with them. Should be obvious to most sports bettors but isn't. I do agree with flat betting however, atleast for the most part. Varying your bets occasionally is fine, like doubling down on one game a week. Root is a egotistical fool however and he is a tout just like the rest of them.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:13 PM

A little story about Mr. Root's operation (this is probably familiar to anyone who's used a scamdicapper before -- the call described below was my first of any kind).

During this past football season, Root is screaming on ESPN radio (an ad) about his Monday night pick, Monday night, can't miss, blah blah blah, free free free, call this number, no obligation, no operator to talk to, etc. Well, I'm in the car and I figure I've heard so many of these ads before, I'd call this one and see what it's all about.

So I call from my cell phone and listen to about 10 minutes of Root pitches, recorded. OK, not unexpected. Finally, just as I get home, he gives a pick. The over. And that's it, I hang up. No harm, no foul. I'm actually surprised that all I had to do was listen to a boat load of pitches, but I actually got a "free pick". I didn't talk to anyone and didn't give anyone any information about myself. I don't remember if the pick won or not, but whatever.

Next day, my cell phone rings. It's "Scott" from "Wayne Root's office", calling me by my name.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:20 PM

'Nutjob' is a bit strong. I would go with 'goofball'. He does have a talent for self-promotion, though.