Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Stud8 - Day 2, Hand 6

Do I want to jam 3rd or let in the other lows cheaply? If I were in later position, I would definitely raise, but with players left to act, I don't know what's good and bad.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.00 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.50 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (1.50 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (4.50 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (7.50 BB)
Old 11-14-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Stud8 - Day 2, Hand 6

On third, limping is fine, and raising is fine. I would bet the river. You should have the best low hand.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:55 AM

Raise 6th
Old 11-14-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise 6th

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:43 PM

Hi this is my first post in this forum, and I'm new to stud8, but it seems to me here that you would rather have the overcall on 6st (since you are playing for half the pot), so it is correct to just cold call here. You have an 8 that Seat 2 could draw to beat, but he is not laying down his hand anyway, so you could just be knocking out the other guy (and everyone checked 5th).

Like I said, I'm pretty new to this game and this is how I would think about it. I'd like to know if this makes no sense here.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise 6th

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you're winning right now but might not be on the river if you don't raise? Seat 7 might have a low draw or a flush draw or two pair. At these stakes I doubt he'll fold any of them if you raise. So raise.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:12 PM

Oh, please ignore my previous post, I missed seat 7s second showing low card.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise 6th

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you're winning right now but might not be on the river if you don't raise? Seat 7 might have a low draw or a flush draw or two pair. At these stakes I doubt he'll fold any of them if you raise. So raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those last two sentences don't make any sense. Do you mean to say, "At these stakes I doubt he'll fold any of them if you don't raise. So raise"? Or, "At these stakes I doubt he'll fold any of them if you raise. But raise anyway"?

I can see the argument for the raise, because your fairly live straight draw might give you slightly better than 0.5 pot equity. (By my count one seven and no deuces are dead, so you have seven outs to a strong scooping hand.) But I'm new to 7S8 so perhaps I'm underestimating the probability that one of your opponents will succeed in making a better low hand on the river despite two high cards each showing.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"At these stakes I doubt he'll fold any of them if you raise. But raise anyway"

[/ QUOTE ]
That is what I am saying.
[ QUOTE ]
I'm new to 7S8 so perhaps I'm underestimating the probability that one of your opponents will succeed in making a better low hand on the river

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds to me like you are overestimating this probability, not underestimating it. Since you have the best low hand here your equity is HUGE. You want as much money in the pot on sixth street as you can possibly get.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:33 PM

I complete third, but thats what I do, limping probably isn't giving up too much value here. Sixth is a definite raise.