Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Raising weak players 3/6, 5/10 full

I have upped my raising quite a bit in the last 6 months. Where I used to be 5-6% PFS I am now 8-10%.

My logic is that is a weak player limps and he is the only one in the pot then I consider him not there for a hand I hold that I would normally raise 1st in. Im talking about non-premium. I assume he has a worse hand than mine in 95% of the cases and I have position.

Like a weak player limps UTG, I raise with 88 MP1. This is something I normally do.

A weak player limps EP2, I raise on the button with KJo.

A weak player limps MP1, I raise on the bitton A7s.

I am finding that my agression is changing my opponents. I get bluffed less at and they try for check raises more on the river.

Is this a reasonable line of play? I find it actually more fun and profitable.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Raising weak players 3/6, 5/10 full

Weak players are weak because they're scared to bet/raise. This means that they're not raising many of the hands that you normally do, and may hold a relative monster compared to what you're isolating them with. (e.g. AQ vs your A7). Yes, they may also be limping in with 97o, but the reason why you're raising to isolate isn't because your hand is always so much stronger than theirs, it's because the times that it is stronger, you're going to get paid, and the times it's not, you're not going to lose much. And, if the board misses both of you, your aggression coupled with their weakness, will allow you to steal many pots without having the best hand.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Raising weak players 3/6, 5/10 full

i have noticed many weak players are afraid to bet or raise with marginal hands, but they are willing to call reasonable sized bets with marginal hands, therefore cutting down your bluffing ability a bit.