Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 12:50 AM

Default The biggest maniac in history is sitting to your left

You sit down with $50 at a 6 Max 50 PL table on Party. First hand, player to your left ($170) pots it preflop, pots it on the flop, on the turn and on the river, opponent folds. Second hand same player pots it preflop, is called, and pots the flop. Opponent folds.

Third hand. You get QhJs in the big blind. Same maniac pots it UTG. All fold to you and you call. Pot $5. Flop Jc3d5d. You check, maniac bets $5. You call. Pot $15.

Turn is third diamond, 9d. You check. Maniac bets $10. You call. Pot $35.

River is ugly. The fourth diamond is the King. You check. Maniac bets $20. You have only $32 left. You can't fold even the deuce of diamonds with a reraise.

What do you do, hotshot? What do you do?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: The biggest maniac in history is sitting to your left

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold PF.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

fold pre-flop, bet the flop, bet the turn

fold preflop

if not that, checkraise turn all in

if not that, call river.

this is if he is truely a huge maniac, but I don't know if you can say that after only seeing 2 of his hands
Old 11-01-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if not that, call river.

this is if he is truely a huge maniac, but I don't know if you can say that after only seeing 2 of his hands

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to raise any street and lose him since I figured I was ahead far more than 50% of the time. I knew he'd give me a big pot without any checkraise.

I called the river. He tabled Qc 8c. I left a little info out of this question. I sat down because the average pot was $30 (at a $50PL!) and I did see the tail end of another hand, where maniac bet the pot on the river and folded another player.

So by my river decision I had seen him pot it eleven straight times.

I stayed at the table for another fifty hands or so. He potted it every single time, unless he was reraised. If he was reraised he almost always called and slowed down. He left the table with $250, and another player left with $350 just playing pots against him. Far too many players folded the river to his bets.

I did well at first, he got me up to $150, but then he took it back, including turning a straight against my top two pair. I ended up rebuying once, the next hand I called with 99 and reraised his pot raise The flop was 552 with a flush draw. I bet half pot, he min-raised. At this point I was halfway in, so I pushed. He called.

Turn was a Jack, river was a Nine. My rivered two outer stole the pot from his 52o flopped full house. He then complained about my suckout.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I stayed at the table for another fifty hands or so. He potted it every single time

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and I mean every single street of every single hand, he potted it. He only slowed down if reraised, and even then he'd call and re-pot it the next street if he improved.

I've never seen a maniac this maniacal, that's why I call him the biggest in history. Has anyone else played with a maniac who raised every street of every hand?

I think the strength of the best maniacs I play with is that they sense strength in their opponents, and slow down quickly when they might be in trouble. I don't think this guy had that, he was just on a nice heater combined with some seriously passive play by his opponents (including me)
Old 11-01-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I mean every single street of every single hand, he potted it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think the strength of the best maniacs I play with is that they sense strength in their opponents, and slow down quickly when they might be in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this guy had that

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't want to raise any street and lose him since I figured I was ahead far more than 50% of the time. I knew he'd give me a big pot without any checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you absolutely know he was gonna bet the river with anything then I guess check-calling turn is ok. I just don't feel good about check-calling calling usually since he could easily have 12+ outs.