Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 04:26 AM

Default So much luck in these, how do you turn a profit?

OK, this is going to sound like a bad beat thread, but really I just want to know how to overcome this:

The last 3 tournaments I've been knocked out of, the final hand was

My KK vs. his QQ
My AK vs. an AQ vs. a J9. Of course, we all know who wins that one.
My AK vs. his A7

Now, I know you're going to lose some of these, maybe even more than half. But when you consistently get your money in as the favorite and lose, what's the best way to overcome it in the future?

Perhaps the problem is the tournaments I'm playing and I need to make a change to them: I love the 45-person PS Turbos because they can be over in a little more than an hour.

I don't want to spend 5 hours on one tournament too often.

Appreciate all input. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: So much luck in these, how do you turn a profit?

Bad run, be happy you are able to get your money in as the consistant favorite in these spots. Keep doing so and your results will show it in the long run. MTT's are very much about the long run.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MTT's are very much about the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Add a couple very's.
[ QUOTE ]
Now, I know you're going to lose some of these, maybe even more than half. But when you consistently get your money in as the favorite and lose, what's the best way to overcome it in the future?

[/ QUOTE ]

As for this, it depends on your definition of overcome. Emotionally, you have to stay tough. You'll start to doubt your moves, reads, reason for being. It helps to continue to check your play; make sure you're playing correctly. Really look at your game; sometimes, something else is going on long before your bustout hand. For me, I started flatlining in the second hour and wasn't accumulating chips. So I'm working on that, just as an example.

It's important to remember that one high finish can erase 50 OTM finishes, as long as you play within your bankroll. So, stay disciplined.

If overcome means "make the cards fall in my favor", I can't help you.

GL,
-D.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:47 AM

HI, PEOPLE HAVE TWO REACTIONS TO YOUR BAD BEAT STORIES:

1. THEY DON'T CARE
2. THEY ARE HAPPY

PLEASE TELL YOUR BAD BEATS TO SOMEONE WHO CARES.

THANK YOU! COME AGAIN!

-BBP
Old 10-22-2005, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MTT's are very much about the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Add a couple very's.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As for this, it depends on your definition of overcome. Emotionally, you have to stay tough. You'll start to doubt your moves, reads, reason for being. It helps to continue to check your play; make sure you're playing correctly. Really look at your game; sometimes, something else is going on long before your bustout hand. For me, I started flatlining in the second hour and wasn't accumulating chips. So I'm working on that, just as an example.

It's important to remember that one high finish can erase 50 OTM finishes, as long as you play within your bankroll. So, stay disciplined.

If overcome means "make the cards fall in my favor", I can't help you.

GL,
-D.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks dude. good post. i'll take it to heart.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:04 AM

You gotta realize you are going to get bad runs, but if you really want to dwell on bad beats, why don't you also include the times you sucked out on someone else? Noone remembers those times usually.

I had a bad run of tourneys recently, where I lost 4 hands in a row where I was a favorite. Then, in a recent one, had KK and raised, got called and reraised all in, went all in and got called by the third guy. KK vs. JJ vs. ATo (who had no business calling the reraise). I tripled up third hand in, and went on to have a top 5 stack by the end of the first hour, which I kept top 10 for another hour after that.

Can't dwell on bad beats dude, it will mess up your game.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:24 AM

Continue to get your chips in as a favorite. Your luck will turn around.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:21 PM

You make a profit by exploiting your edges when you are ahead to win big pots and minimizing your losses to lose small pots. This is easy against bad players. They may get lucky sometimes but you'll be the one ahead in the long run. Keep playing your "A" game and it will come....
Old 10-22-2005, 02:37 PM

SEE MY POST THIS SECTION - IMPROVING OUR PSYCHE

You have described exactly what I've been going thru. These bad beats suck, but unfortunately we seem to remember them more than the times we actually beat the donk with the J9 against our Aces.

Just yesterday I was crying to myself - why do my aces always lose, but when I'm behind, I can never suck out like they do. I think the answer is, we're not putting ourselves into bad positions that often, therefore, we're not going to suck out very often. Conversely, we are ahead so often, the few suck outs that nab us tend to stand out.

On a side note, I've been absent this thread for a few weeks, which just happens to correspond to my bad run of luck. Hmmmmmm - correllation maybe?
Old 10-22-2005, 07:07 PM

Just because you got your money in as a favorite doesn't mean you played the tournament right. It also doesn't mean your opponent played it wrong. Things like chip stacks and calling ranges matter. Also things like extracting maximum chip amounts on your good hands and stealing chips where possible matter a lot. If you constantly play too tight you'll find you are always getting sucked out on.