Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 05:15 AM

Default checking along w/ Tommy Angelo

This hand has been sticking in my mind for a few days now, mainly because it seems so simple, and because I ended up checking every street, which tends not to happen in hands I am involved in. I'm currently trying to figure out how to let up the gas, my old tricks don't always work any more at this level.

Bay 101 40-80, great game, folded to me in early middle position w/ JJ. I raise. Tommy Angelo three-bets in late position, everyone folds, we're heads up. This is the first session I've played with him I think, at least the first time I recognized him. I am getting over my "OMG, I'm playing with Tommy Angelo" I remember reading his posts back when I was a lurker, and starting to play the .50/1 on Party, and now here I am playing in a 40-80 game with him. I keep remembering that I do have an edge here, I know more about him than he does about me.

On an earlier hand I raised with a medium pocket, Tommy 3-bet, and I folded to a flop bet on a broadway flop.

The flop comes AA5, I don't remember the suits. I'm pretty well crushed by what I think of as Tommy's 3-betting range here, but visions of pushing him off of KK or QQ dance in my head. Checkraising the flop almost screams I don't have an A, if I try for a turn checkraise, he most likely will check behind me. Some weird call flop, lead turn line also doesn't seem that convincing. Trying for a lead/3 bet of the flop might do the trick, but I doubt Tommy will oblige with a raise especially without an A, and I don't want to spew against AK. Probably check/folding is best here. Anyway, I check, and Tommy checks behind.

He does this a lot, I almost never do this, I need to incorporate this into my arsenal, still working on it. Does the check mean an A or a pair, I'm still not sure.

The turn comes a K, this looks even more miserable for my JJ, although it doesn't actually change my position relative to my estimate of Tommy's three-betting range. I check intending to fold, and Tommy checks behind. Tommy's seen me bet and raise a lot. Maybe it looks to him like I might be slowplaying an A myself.

The river comes a Q. Now I think something like TT or 99 is too likely for me to fold here. I check intending to call, and Tommy checks behind again.

Comments?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Re: checking along w/ Tommy Angelo

[ QUOTE ]

The flop comes AA5, I don't remember the suits. I'm pretty well crushed by what I think of as Tommy's 3-betting range here, but visions of pushing him off of KK or QQ dance in my head. Checkraising the flop almost screams I don't have an A, if I try for a turn checkraise, he most likely will check behind me. Some weird call flop, lead turn line also doesn't seem that convincing. Trying for a lead/3 bet of the flop might do the trick, but I doubt Tommy will oblige with a raise especially without an A, and I don't want to spew against AK. Probably check/folding is best here. Anyway, I check, and Tommy checks behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your thinking on the flop is dead on. I like your line.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:26 AM

lol it'd be funny as hell if you both had JJ.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:36 AM

Hi Elena,

"I keep remembering that I do have an edge here, I know more about him than he does about me."

Velly intellesting.

I pegged you as a 2+2er immediately. It's nothing you did, and nothing you could prevent. Finding a 2+2er in that player pool is like finding a needle in a pin cushion.

Next I needed to know if "you knew who I was." You did a great job of covering, but after our first eye-contact, I suspected strongly that you did. A half hour of paying attention and one eye-contact later, and I decided to assume for the rest of the sesssion that you not only knew who I was, but that you were assuming that I did not know that you knew who I was.

So who had the advantage here?

(And would everyone who loves poker, please raise your hand.)

I had no line on your play based on any posts you had written. But I knew were a studious, disciplined, thoughtful 2+2er type. You had lots of info on how I play and think from posts I have written, but you didn't know what I knew about what you knew.

I think it's close.

Tommy
Old 10-10-2005, 10:17 AM

omg lol that would be hilarious! rofl
Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 AM

Perfect.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:40 AM

beautiful post.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:24 PM

If the next card is a T, bet out. I don't think Tommy will go for the check-raise.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:48 PM

next time ignore who it is and bet your hand. you have JJ on an AA5 flop. not bad. test the waters and see where youre at. and give off some reverse tells, some of the time.

tommy 3 bets in late position with quite a few pocket pairs from what i remember, but likes to flat call w/ a bunch of aces, at least that's what he's been telling us.

ive been in quite a few situations where i was intimidated by my opponent at first. getting used to forcing yourself to play tough and aggressive against these sorts of players is a great way to mature your game.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:38 PM

long time ago.....

I played a similiar hand in a similiar fashion against Tommy and he berated me for soft playing against him. lol. Tommy will deny it but it's true.