Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: To button's all-in, my stack after posting would need to be...
Anything -- he's desperate 7 21.88%
5BB or less 0 0%
4BB or less 3 9.38%
3BB or less 10 31.25%
2BB or less 9 28.13%
1BB or less 2 6.25%
practically all-in already (<1BB) 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2005, 10:07 PM

Default How Much Will You Call Here?

Somebody is going to reply that there's a standard rule. The problem is that

a) Obviously, IT DEPENDS.
b) There are 20 standard rules

Someone will also reply that preflop is easy so stop wasting my time. It's true, preflop is easy, that's why we can quantify this situation with one number given a reasonable but fairly shallow read.

See what I did there, I turned your own argument against you, jujitsu style, hypothetical attacker.

1/2NL, you have 400, main Villian has you covered with ~500. Other actors have anywhere from 100-600. One could assume a $325 stack for all others and be fine

Main villian seems to be a decent player, in that he has not done anything obviously nuts or wrong. He is a tad loose, but not overly so, and he is not a calling station. You suspect he may even lay down too often postflop, as he has laid down two hands to raises (one "normal" raise, one check-raise) after showing strength where your friend happened to hold a monster each time. Of course he could have been on stone bluffs, weak semi bluffs or weak made hands and made easy laydowns, you don't know.

The table as a whole is generally not good, but not horrible. Std table, a bit loose preflop, fairly weak, etc. A couple players are far too loose but will fold to reasonable strength with many hands postflop, especially to multiple barrels. A couple are generally weak tight. Basically the table you expect to see in most any baby NL game, except maybe a bit tighter than normal postflop

You're 3rd to act in an eight handed game. You have T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

1st Situation:
------------------------------------------
UTG+1 (2nd) limps
You (3rd) limp
4th position limps
CO (Villian) makes it X
Button calls.
All fold to you.

Let's say the chances of a reraise from 4th are 2% and a call are 50%, assuming X is the greatest amount you will call.

The pot will be 3 and 4 handed with equal frequency.

What's the largest X you will call?
-------------------------------------

2nd Situation:
UTG (1st) limps
UTG+1 (2nd) limps
You (3rd) limp
CO limps
SB completes
BB (Villian) makes it Y.
UTG+1 calls
All fold to you.

The chances of a reraise from CO are 2% and a call are 50%, assuming that Y is the greatest amount you will call.

SB will call &lt;10% of the time given this assumption.

This means you'll most likely be 3 or 4 handed, with roughly equal frequency.

What's the largest Y you will call?
-------------------------------------------

"BE SMART! Tell other players what they did wrong! Shout out odds! Tell them you read books!" - World Poker Champion
Old 06-22-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: How Much Will You Call Here?

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody is going to reply that there's a standard rule. The problem is that

a) Obviously, IT DEPENDS.
b) There are 20 standard rules

Someone will also reply that preflop is easy so stop wasting my time. It's true, preflop is easy, that's why we can quantify this situation with one number given a reasonable but fairly shallow read.

See what I did there, I turned your own argument against you, jujitsu style, hypothetical attacker.

1/2NL, you have 400, main Villian has you covered with ~500. Other actors have anywhere from 100-600. One could assume a $325 stack for all others and be fine

Main villian seems to be a decent player, in that he has not done anything obviously nuts or wrong. He is a tad loose, but not overly so, and he is not a calling station. You suspect he may even lay down too often postflop, as he has laid down two hands to raises (one "normal" raise, one check-raise) after showing strength where your friend happened to hold a monster each time. Of course he could have been on stone bluffs, weak semi bluffs or weak made hands and made easy laydowns, you don't know.

The table as a whole is generally not good, but not horrible. Std table, a bit loose preflop, fairly weak, etc. A couple players are far too loose but will fold to reasonable strength with many hands postflop, especially to multiple barrels. A couple are generally weak tight. Basically the table you expect to see in most any baby NL game, except maybe a bit tighter than normal postflop

You're 3rd to act in an eight handed game. You have T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

1st Situation:
------------------------------------------
UTG+1 (2nd) limps
You (3rd) limp
4th position limps
CO (Villian) makes it X
Button calls.
All fold to you.

Let's say the chances of a reraise from 4th are 2% and a call are 50%, assuming X is the greatest amount you will call.

The pot will be 3 and 4 handed with equal frequency.

What's the largest X you will call?

2nd Situation:
UTG (1st) limps
UTG+1 (2nd) limps
You (3rd) limp
CO limps
SB completes
BB (Villian) makes it Y.
UTG+1 calls
All fold to you.

The chances of a reraise from CO are 2% and a call are 50%, assuming that Y is the greatest amount you will call.

SB will call &lt;10% of the time given this assumption.

This means you'll most likely be 3 or 4 handed, with roughly equal frequency.

What's the largest Y you will call?
-------------------------------------------

"BE SMART! Tell other players what they did wrong! Shout out odds! Tell them you read books!" - World Poker Champion

[/ QUOTE ]

in general in a full game in early position with players likely to raise behind me i don't play suited semiconnectors except for the occasional raise with them. being OOP with the inevitable draws they flop sucks.

so yeah, fold preflop.

fim
Old 06-23-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: How Much Will You Call Here?

[ QUOTE ]

in general in a full game in early position with players likely to raise behind me i don't play suited semiconnectors except for the occasional raise with them. being OOP with the inevitable draws they flop sucks.

so yeah, fold preflop.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, you would fold T8s in 3rd position with 200BB behind?