Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Moving from $25 to $50, is it worth it?

I remember back in the day, when I felt I was destroying the 25$ NL I moved up to 50$ NL. The difference on the site I was playing on was astounding, as it was a huge nitfest and I was the donator most of the time, and I lost a good chunk of my BR before I knew what hit me. I was much much worse than I obviously thought. Thankfully, I moved back down, found another site,more than doubled my bankroll there in two days, did a LOT of studying, and moved up level by level gradually, taking shots at higher stakes whenever I was comfortable. I never -just- played one limit though, except when I was starting out.

Bottom line is, move up when you are comfortable, but learn as you are playing. Post hands, get better, don't sit around wasting time just nut-peddling all of the idiots. You don't want to sit around at the kiddie pool your whole life [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And besides, NL25 is like sittin on the beach, sippin down a brewsky, while pennies fall from the sky.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 12-06-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And besides, NL25 is like sittin on the beach, sippin down a brewsky, while pennies fall from the sky.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yeah I was going to mention it's not the kinda money many of you are used to, but bringin in $300 - $500 a week for a college student isn't bad, FOR MOST.

So basically most of you guys are saying it's worth it to move up, even if you don't do as well at first. But we all have to get better and grow, and eventually the higher limits will pay off, if not immediately.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:09 AM

well, not everyone is meant to win when they move up. If you find that you lose/barely break even after 15k hands, then you should probably move back down. If not, then stay up there
Old 12-06-2005, 06:34 AM

I play $50NL 5-max on Pokerroom (moved down from $100NL full ring to learn shorthanded play) and believe me there are some terrible players there. The same goes for $50NL (and $100NL) full ring. I only play 1 or 2 tables though - I'd suggest you play fewer tables while adjusting. As you move up you will meet a greater proportion of decent players amongst the donkeys so you need to pay attention to which are which.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:33 AM

I find it funny that people actually consider not moving up...why are you playing poker if not to improve?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it funny that people actually consider not moving up...why are you playing poker if not to improve?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:22 AM

The first few times I attempted the move to the $50 level I was bleeding money. I'm sure some people loved to see me come to the table. In September I decided to just ride out the losses until my bankroll couldn't take the level. It took a couple of months, but I am starting to see it really turn around. Patience is the key to moving up. You are probably going to take a beating starting out, but once you get a feel for the game it will become more profitable.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:32 AM

I guess it depends, I did alot better at 50s than 25s. There is a big jump of skills from 50s to 100s. I think stuck at low limit too long does little to improve your poker skills. It's always tough to dive into deep water and you will sufer some breakeven/losing stream due to your bad habit at lowlevel, but once you adjust properly, your payoff is big.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a big jump of skills from 50s to 100s...

...once you adjust properly, your payoff is big.

[/ QUOTE ]Would you mind elaborating on the adjustments needed when moving from 25NL to 50NL and from 50NL to 100NL, based on your observations and experience?

Thanks!
M