Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Why do many pros preferr Limit poker to NL?

Hey everyone. I just read this statement recently in another post, but there was no reasoning given as to why. I know that many of you say that you can make a living on 3/6 limit, but is there a reason why you like L instead of NL?

I have been playing full time online NL tables for a few months now. Most weeks I make more than any job I have had before, exept for this week which looks like it will be my second "break even" week so far. I have tried limit tables before (mostly 2/4) but it has not seemed like I did as well. Granted, I have not played for long, because I am pretty inexperienced at limit holdem.

I was just considering studying limit some more (SSHE) but I hoped to hear the reasoning you all like limit more.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Why do many pros preferr Limit poker to NL?

The reason I prefer limit is because the literature I have read on it (SSHE in specific) seems much more comprehensive than the literature on NL.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:36 PM

There are a few reasons I prefer to play limit, one is inertia, I play it because I have a lot of experience with it. I want to play no-limit too, my problem right now is that I have to play so many hours of limit for my work, I don't really want to play even more poker.

Another is the stress factor, I find in no-limit I'm required to make fewer, but bigger decisions. Sometimes I don't maintain my A game if I play a lot, and my limit B-game is only slightly worse than my limit A-game, but my no-limit B-game, is a lot worse than my no-limit A-game.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:49 PM

I think Limit is more of a science. There is almost always a correct way to play any hand. And there's less volatility in your bankroll when you get sucked out.

Also knowing what your opponents have isn't as critical (many people will disagree with that comment I can feel it).

I just can't imagine someone playing 8 tables of small stakes NL. You really need to concentrate on your opponents and know what to do when that time comes when they're stacking you all-in.

I like to switch off from NL and Limit. I usually don't play more than 1 table of NL though.. That's just me.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:08 PM

It requires less thinking yet more thinking at the same time.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:19 PM

It's less stressful for me and I can play more tables easier. That's it.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It requires less thinking yet more thinking at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that limit poker takes not necessarily more "skill" than no limit, but it's more of a thinking game.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:54 AM

because i was a nerd that was good at numbers and figured limit would be the place to learn and take advantage of the fact that I don't have to think about the numbers at all and can concentrate on my opponents.

Now I do it because it's easy for me to multi-table. Pokertracker numbers really do describe 90% of an opponent. The rest is quick note-taking. I've never really tried NL online. I play it live on vacation and it seems to go well, but I don't think success at the $100NL tables in vegas is very impressive.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:12 AM

you can put your brain on auto and 10 table limit holdem for 8 hours. You can't do that with NL.

+EV plays are alot easier to make in limit.

It is alot easier to know what your opponents will do. check, fold, make 1bet, raise 2bets.

basically you have more control in limit because there are less unkown variables.