Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: 200/400 hand 1

good thinking. what i shouldve said was:

"you should reraise any hand some of time when it seems right to defend with it."
Old 09-18-2005, 10:53 PM

Seems pretty sketchy to me...check calling that flop sounds warning bells off in my head - so he won't bother betting with something like Q9 with one spade, or Ax with a spade, instead he'll take his free draw because he is good enough to realize you're probably check raising here.
-let me clarify, either you plan on check raising or seeing a cheap showdown - so those hands you have beat won't bother following through.

I like your plan if the turn wasn't a spade or a 2, which in some ways may bind you to a showdown here, no?
-is he aggressive enough to 3bet semibluff with something like AT w/the As?
What was your plan if 3bet?

I agree with your flatcall preflop w/ Axo btw. No question there.

-DrG
Old 09-19-2005, 12:41 AM

My thoughts the same so far. I keep seeing hands I'd play the same way at limits higher than I play by better (higher limit) players and ask my self wtf.

It's either the bills of a family, inability to avoid tilt or just plain out of my league. Who knows, who cares.

Maybe SA125 should ask Tommy.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:46 AM

hey james,

i think once you catch the deuce you'd be better off check calling it down.

chris
Old 09-19-2005, 01:43 AM

Really Chris? Because I think this leaves me vulnerable to be value bet by a better hand and gives me no chance to fold that same better hand. On a board like this I think it's highly plausible he folds a pair with a spade(if no spade comes on the river), MAYBE a king(he has definitely folded top pair during this session to a player with an image similar to mine). I dunno, I think it's close between cr and check call.
-James
Old 09-19-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me like if you're going to be taking ace high to showdown with any frequency against him, then you might as well three-bet it, at least occasionally. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesnt make any sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Build a bigger pot to make calling down more correct is what I guess he's saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

this statement is a huge logical fallacy....

do you pump your gutshots on the flop so that you can call on the turn??????
Old 09-19-2005, 02:43 AM

clearly you're planning to knock him off a better hand with the check-raise on the turn, as you'd just check call if you figured he had a worse hand (i think?), so what is the range of hands you think he would fold here?

If it is true that he would fold enough hands to make this play +EV (essentially 2.5BB on a bluff to win 3.75, 3.5 to win 4.75 if you fire on the river and expect a fold) then wouldn't he be playing a very explotable game? if an opponent that often folds given a preflop raise isn't almost correct to auto check raise the turn on a non-scray board?

do you do that?

if not (and i assume you don't) what makes this situation particularly appealing to try to knock him off a better hand?

I know this is mid/high and the posters who this is aimed at get all this stuff intuitevely, but i'm just having a great deal of difficulty figuring out what your logic is in calling with A2 in the blind and not any two if this is the line you'll take, (assuming again that you're not going to the river unimproved with a2 very often).

<font color="red"> To me it seems as though if this actually works the cards don't matter, and because of this i wouldn't be folding enough for this to work on me. </font>

That's the way i think about a lot of situations and it's been very useful but the higher i go the more a non-exploitable strategy seems to fall by the way side (which yet again seems counter intuitive to me as i would assume opponents would be better at taking shots/randomizing unexpectedly)

Edit: i would really like to hear some of the better players here thoughts on the statement in red.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Really Chris? Because I think this leaves me vulnerable to be value bet by a better hand and gives me no chance to fold that same better hand. On a board like this I think it's highly plausible he folds a pair with a spade(if no spade comes on the river), MAYBE a king(he has definitely folded top pair during this session to a player with an image similar to mine). I dunno, I think it's close between cr and check call.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Do people actually fold pairs in Blind Defense scenarios at 200-400

I think if he has any kind of made hand, especially one he bets the turn with, are hands he's going to SD with.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:45 AM

a2 has a significant amount of showdown value....
Old 09-19-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

while i agree that this line leaves you vurnurable to being value bet to death, it also HAS to leave some room for him bluffing unprofitably as well.

also its been my experience in these games that it is very difficult to get these guys to fold better hands in these spots, which makes checkraising less valuable than you'd think.

chris