Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Protect my pot, a high limit shorthanded hand

The only problem with this line, james...is I think he's more likely to call with his over cards than if you bet into him. The pot is now so much bigger and it's likely he can read your hand pretty well and will think his overs (if that's what he has) are good often enough so he'll call. If he's got you beat with a higher pair, you're just giving him more money and drawing very thin.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:49 AM

Most of you are thinking wrong about this when you talk about folding overcards. The best thing about this raise is that it DOESN'T fold overcards, since they often think they have a draw in a big pot. I believe this is a valuebet. In addition checkraising 2 on the turn is a show of strength and will fold a 6 or 77, 88 a decent amount of the time.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:27 PM

I'd rather lead the turn and hope to get raised.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone will fold an overpair here, and if the button gives up I don't think the sb will fold 77 or 88 now that the hand is headsup. If neither has a pair though you have a good shot of knocking out overcards and getting headsup against the draw. I guess we would have to do some math to figure out how likely that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was certainly not hoping to knock out an overpair. Neither of these players would fold one here. If I can get them to fold anywhere between 6-12 outs then I am hugely victorious. If one calls with overcards I still make money but not as much as if he folds. The plan if both called was to bet any non-ace non-club river. The plan if just the sb called was to bet any non-ace non club river. The plan if just the button called was to bet any non-ace river. The plan if three-bet was to call it and reassess my position on the river.
-James
Old 04-29-2005, 01:42 PM

Great players will see through all of this crap and you'll NEVER get this fold (you'll probably get raised, too). I don't like it. Against mediocre players, maybe it's fine.

I prefer betting out the flop and hoping he raises. Then, just get to the showdown. If the other guy has a flush draw, and calls, bet the turn out again.

You'd sure hate the button to check behind here, and that's what he'll do unless you've got second best. Of course, maybe I'm giving the button too much credit.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:45 PM

Muy bien, Senor Choppy. Me gusta, pero me gusta una apuesta en el flop el mas.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:47 PM

I actually prefer the turn checkraise to the turn lead. The lead is more transparent, and waiting to checkraise let's you make sure the blind isn't checkraising.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:53 PM

I would rather bet the flop and see what happens if you get raised by the button it will likely get the blind to fold his hand if he calls the two bets cold I think there is a good chance you are beat and can safely fold to any heat on the expensive streets. I would of liked to find out more info on the flop before the turn and the river with a bet or a check raise. I feel pocket 55's are just so vulnerable that I would like to find out info on the flop before I feel confident in taking it to the river.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:46 PM

Haven't read other comments yet, but I think I prefer you playing into button on the turn (or flop for that matter). Button definitley is not believing that you have a 9, so I think there is no way he is folding anything here. IF we believe that to be true then this is a value bet to charge these guy more to see the river assuming we are ahead.

Pretty expensive for us if we are agaisnt an overpair. We are folding to a three bet right?

I guess I am not sure that this is better than leading the turn (or leading flop and turn since 9 more believable)......all comes down to the % of time we are ahead here since I do not think we are folding any better hands.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:14 PM

I guess I'm in the minority, I don't like the CR. A better hand isn't folding to this CR, overcards and anything up to a gutshot have the odds to draw (10.5:1 on a call)...but you will get a worse hand to fold...and *maybe* 88/77 but really depends on how look they are (SB calls 3 cold PF, he's showing these down...as is button). Although I don't play as high as you James, I would think "moves" like this with the context of this board will look like a representation of a 9 and be called down more often than not (with a hand) and certainly by a "running well" button who has likely relaxed his folding standards and increased his calling standards.

I think betting the turn is a better way to protect your hand and hope button folds or raises overcards to fold out SB with any 6 or 88/77 as he'll only be getting 4.75:1 on the call.