Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Protect my pot, a high limit shorthanded hand

I am playing a 5 handed online high stakes game because it looks about as good as it can look. I raise 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] from the CO and the button 3 bets. He has been three-betting me a lot but hasn't shown down too much cheese, so it's possible he's running well and possible he thinks he can run me over. I have played with him a decent amount and think that he plays very well postflop and that he is a winner in this game. I've played back at him a decent amount and gotten him to fold, or have shown the winner, so who knows if he is doing this super light or what. Anyway, the SB cold calls the 3 which could mean high suited stuff, maybe a suited ace and definitely a PP. He is averagely aggressive postflop. BB folds, I call.

We take a flop of 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB checks, I check, button bets. We both call.

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Sb checks, I check, Button bets, Sb calls, I raise.

Comments?
-James
Old 04-29-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Protect my pot, a high limit shorthanded hand

I like it alot. Small blind looks to be drawing, and button now has to give serious consideration to the possibility you have a 9. I expect him to fold all overcards without draws and probably some pocket pairs that beat you even, which would be great for you. And if things go according to plan the money from your raise goes into a pot you're winning more than half the time. Oh, and if you're 3bet you fold comfortably.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:40 AM

Me like! What's your plan when they call?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:45 AM

I like this play, but are we hoping to get a free showdown out of curiousity? You represent a very strong hand, and you might force the button into just calling down with hands that beat yours, which would make a river bet incorrect.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:57 AM

I like the line, but I think check-raising the flop works better for me and my image. I really don't love the decisions you'd have to make if things didn't work so well with the turn card and turn action.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:58 AM

Due to plays like these i've started doing a 3bet-free-showdown-play with AK. Since when these plays happen it's so so rare they have trips, so i'm against a bluff, semi-bluff or a marginal hand that can't call.

I like the play though.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Due to plays like these i've started doing a 3bet-free-showdown-play with AK. Since when these plays happen it's so so rare they have trips, so i'm against a bluff, semi-bluff or a marginal hand that can't call.

I like the play though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why i'll call that turn 3 bet a lot more vs very tough players with hands I can't call a river bet with.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:50 AM

I would rather bet the turn than checkraise it.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2005, 11:09 AM

In my experience, when the board pairs like that, no one ever believes you have the paired card. I think you might force out something like AQ - but might the small blind have something like 88?
Old 04-29-2005, 11:19 AM

I don't think anyone will fold an overpair here, and if the button gives up I don't think the sb will fold 77 or 88 now that the hand is headsup. If neither has a pair though you have a good shot of knocking out overcards and getting headsup against the draw. I guess we would have to do some math to figure out how likely that is.